Please help me spend some $$ :-)

NM_Longshot

Registered
Registered
I'm new to this, and am in need of some tooling for my Atlas 12x36 lathe. I have much of the basic stuff... Jacobs Mt2 chuck, live / dead centers, three jaw chuck, etc.

I need some tooling to get started cutting. My work will be mostly aluminum. I'd like to be able to cut inside and outside threads, as well as general outside turning.

I know I need a boring bar, and some cutting tools. Can somebody make me a basic start list? I don't have the ability to grind my own tools. The carbide inserts look pretty tempting, but I know nothing about them, nor about the tool holders for them.

Any links to "buy it here" are welcome. Especially at pricing that won't make me start hiding things from my wife :)

Thanks...

Frank

Frank,

IMHO a bench grinder and some HSS to make your own tools would be a good start. I'm assuming the lack of a grinder is the reason you aren't able to make your own. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Terry

I would suggest when you get to the threading tools get right left hand on the internal ones. I find it is much easier to do many internal threads left handed in reverse. Include tools for cutting the exit pocket for your threads. I use the biggest tool I can for the job, maybe that's just the few projects I've done but it seems more rigid. I mostly use carbide in one of those 7 piece indexable tool holder sets. The BXA QCTP holds up to 5/8" in the common 201, 202 holders. Shar's has good prices on inserts. I do use some 8% cobalt HSS with good results.

Dave

I second the HSS and a grinder option, get those and you can do literally anything within your lathes capabilities. I just recently bought 60+ various size, HSS bits on ebay for less than the average cost of 2-3 carbide inserts, most of them appear to have been ground by a professional and will only require a tune-up on a stone if anything. Plus at least half the bits are 8-10% carbide. Ill stop bragging about my ebay exploits but HSS and a grinder is your best, cheapest, most versatile, skill expanding choice. I bought an old grinder online for $15.00 I invested about 2 hours into getting it to run true and have been sharpening HSS on it without a complaint for two years.

Shawn

+1 on all points

Bernie

Ok.

I don't know how much you have to spend.

First- I know the carbide looks tempting, but you can buy a lot with that money, and you'll likely break the
Carbide bits shortly.

Do you have any precision measuring tools? A few micrometers, a dial indicator, Dial Test Indicator, a caliper, rulers?
Many of these can be purchased used with no issues on Ebay. You'll just have to be careful buying the indicators used. If you don't have a lot, you can buy China dial indicator for a while.
I bought a few used Starretts online with the intent of getting one good one, and got two.

You will also want a way to cut rough stock down to close-to finish size- horizontal bandsaw, hacksaw (if you have a good arm :), vertical bandsaw (sufficiently slowed down for metal cutting), or even a power hacksaw! :)

Keep your eyes on Craigslist too.

Bernie

Back