Please Help Identify Bits

gubni

Registered
Registered
I recently got a huge assortment of bits pretty cheap. I am a newby to machining and bought my first mill a couple of weeks ago. It's a 1979 Jet-16 with R8 collets. Please let me know if my terminology is wrong. I love to learn and this site have been a big help.

I tried googling part numbers on the bits with no luck. It looks like a brand name on many is LRTS and micro grain. Many have a taper to the top and some have a short shank. Please assume I know NOTHING about machining and I will appreciate any info I can get. I am proficient at welding and general fabrication. I bought this mill to learn the art of detailed machine work.

I would be glad to do some trading if someone sees a specialty bit that need. Most appear to be new and wax dipped.

IMG_20160811_203414060.jpg IMG_20160811_203541568.jpg IMG_20160811_203639698.jpg IMG_20160811_203718545.jpg IMG_20160811_203832423.jpg

picture 1 = specialty form tools
p2= countersinks
p3= reamers
p4= shell mills
p5 =has all of the above, except shell mills

Most of what you have is specialty. Not a bad thing just that when you go to repurpose it you could do a little more head scratching and or grinding. Ulma Doctor gave you good descriptions. Maybe would say p4 is showing hole saws and not shell mill cutters. If you see it say micro grain, that means it’s Carbide. Hope this helps…Dave.

Thank you very much for the info. I will try to research these terms. Are P3 and P4 compatible with R8 collets?

I see a couple of porting tools. These are used for finishing the holes where things like hydraulic fittings connect. Just about everything I see there is a custom grind, probably dedicated tooling for a specific purpose. There are a few reamers, but they may or may not be standard sizes.

Thank you very much for the info. I will try to research these terms. Are P3 and P4 compatible with R8 collets?
in P3, those appear to be MT2 reamers, not compatible with R8 without an adapter.
in P4 whether they are shell mills or hole cutters, an R8 may grab it- but i can't say how effectively.
R8 is limited to 7/8" toolholding

Nice haul.
LRTS = Little Rock Tool Service, in Little Rock Arkansas. Good folks. We always referred to them as lerts.
In my former life I worked for Vickers, a hydraulic valve company and it looks like a lot of your tooling could have been picked up at the tool crib. The tools with splines on the shank were used to cut recesses inside of holes. I don't remember the name of the holder they were used in but they were used on verticle spindle machines/drill presses.......it seems like they were called noburr tools.
The tools in picture four were used to cut grooves in valve body faces, like for an o-ring seal for a filter cartridge.
Seedtick

i found some stuff like that at the junk yard the guy let me have it for $1.50 a pound i kept some and gave the rest to my gunsmith

Back