Plastic safe threadlocker?

Zoltan

Active User
Registered
I'm working on a project where I have small metal screws going into nuts embedded in a plastic body. I don't want to use a normal threadlocker like the blue Loctite since I won't be able to keep it off the plastic as I assemble the two parts. I've done some research into plastic safe options for threadlockers, and the best recommendation I've found thus far is Krazy Glue. However, in my own tests, it doesn't seem to provide much threadlocking strength.

So, what are my other options here? I have access to the heads of the screws, so I was considering just putting some hot glue on each to keep them from turning or vibrating loose.

Nail polish? that's what they use in instrumentation adjustment screws.

With out knowing more details of the application, I'll throw out something here. Is it possible to deform the threads a bit on either the nut or the screw? I don't know how this would affect the assembly.

Loctite 425 is basically just blue colored Krazy Glue.

how about the loctite paste? It gives you more control over application and wont run.

Cheers Phil

Without knowing what type of plastic it's hard to say what will work best. I'd probably just use a drop of gel superglue on mystery material.

If you are just trying to keep the locktite from staining your plastic, you can paint the area you want to protect with white Elmers glue. It will peel right off when you are done.

If you need to glue something to the plastic without damaging it, you can use GE silicone caulk. Buy the good stuff and never use DAP for anything you are going to keep.

John

You could use either a white or yellow wood glue (casein or latex based) or a bit of Gorilla (urethane based). They're pretty benign when it comes to plastics. Their strength should be about that of blue Loctite. Not huge, but you said that all you needed was vibration resistance. Hot glue on the heads, which you mentioned, should also be of help.

Back in the 80's in the Kawasaki dealership the atv's were coming with plastic nuts and screws to hold on fender flaps.
They would vibrate apart quickly. Some started putting loctite on them and it would attack the plastic They of course were not using a loctite for plastic they just grabed what they had and put it on. (kawasaki sent out a bulletin about this problem and not to use loctite on plastic screws).
We used silicone gasket sealer and it worked good. Kept the screws from vibrating out but was still removable if needed.(the next year the atv's came with steel bolts)

Back