Places To Look For Tools In Boise, Id?

carlquib

Registered
Registered
I was wondering if anyone knows of places to look for machinist related tools in the Boise area? Particularly on a Saturday afternoon. I keep reading or seeing all the great deals people find in other places and wondered if Boise was big enough to have those kinds of deals.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Not sure about Boise. There is a ton of stuff in the upper Midwest but then again, we have a really long history of manufacturing here. If I were you, I would check this site in the for sale area, your local craigslist, or eBay if you are looking for something that can be shipped easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Salt Lake area has a pretty good manufacturing base, that might be a good place to look. Your local Craigslist is a good starting point.

I will definitely give the salt lake area a look. Any specific places

How about the Spokane area? I have to make a trip there in November.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, small tools can be found at pawn shops some times, also garage / estate sales. Machinery is going to be on Craigslist or look for machine tools dealers. For the most part, the deals you see others get is the result of a continuous search for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Sometimes we just trip over it. Sometime you hear a rumor and follow up on it. The deals are out there, but you have to look for them all the time, it's a full time job. If you don't jump on them, somebody else will. When I have time, I check the local Craigslist about every half hour, I've gotten a lot of deals that way.

I have multiple craigslist searches set up that alert me any time something new comes up. The problem is I usually don't know far enough in advance where I will be going to set up advance searches to watch.

I see the problem. In my case, when I find a deal, I'm usually out the door in 10 minutes to go get it. But I'm semi-retired so I normally have some time available to take off and get something. If you don't have that freedom, then it could be a problem. Not sure how you can fix that one.

Its slim pickings in the Spokane/Boise areas, I was running craigslist lathe searches over there for months.

Seems to be a lot of the west is a machinist tool desert. I either read about or see on YouTube all the great tool finds people make in other parts of the country but after looking constantly for 20+ years I haven't found many local deals. I guess eBay is my friend.

Back