• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

PK belt pulley vs v belt pulley

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

GoceKU

I need to start making the pulleys for the drill press i'm building and was planning to make them for standard v belts, but got thinking what if i use PK4 belts, are they more grippy on smaller pulley?
80_578_388_ela_belt_cross_section.gif

BigMo

Steel
Registered Member
My opinion is yes, the more surface area that you engage, the more traction you will have

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dulltool17

Active User
More grippy means more friction, meaning less available horsepower.
Then there's what Bob said...

kvt

Active User
Agree with Bob, when the belt slips I normally glad it did, otherwise something might break.

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Sure, that belt will be grippyer, but does it matter? Regular v-belts perform very well, within their design capability. There are many thousands of DPs out there that have been running the same belt for many decades. If it works, then don't mess with it.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
I have a 9" SBL that was modified to run on a "J" size poly groove belt. Been using it like that for 50 years now. On its third belt. The real draw back is keeping oil off the belt. I gave up on that years ago. Seems to help for some reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GoceKU

After considering everything, i'll try making them V groves, i'll try using cut off tool first then an hss forming tool, thanks for all opinions and advices.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Do little searching for "Poly Groove " . You should get lots of hits. A few will give dimensional information.
Also go to "ToolFlo's" website and download either their turning tool catalog or specialty tooling. You will have to dig thru the catalog to find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

5 7