Pirates! - Why the US doesn't use the metric system.

While I do use and like the Metric System, I think there is a certain natural practicality to the relative measurements, ½ inch, ¼ cup etc, that seems to get lost using metric.
As an ex chef I have to say American recipes using cups for the measurement of items other than liquids is abominable, I mean how can you work out the cup equivalent of "err, about that much!"

As an ex chef I have to say American recipes using cups for the measurement of items other than liquids is abominable, I mean how can you work out the cup equivalent of "err, about that much!"
Um, about 250 cc of chopped onions? Though it doesn't sound too appetizing....

Which system we use... seems a mute point...

My concern... is we use one system or the other... and not mix them.

Remember a service van I had years ago... there was no telling whether a bolt or nut would be metric or SAE... until you put a socket on it and determined if the socket fit or was just a little loose. Literally one bolt of the engine accessories (belt driven things on the front of the engine) would be 13MM... the next 1/2".

So either way is good... just please do not mix them on the same product!!!

A funny thing happens with plummers! In my country we all use metric system! Plummers use imperial.
In the UK everyone use imperial plummers use metric! It's a funny world.

Ah yes, but it only applies to soldered copper, in which the most common sizes are 15mm, 22mm and 28mm. As soon as you start with threaded fittings or pipework, it is back to imperial, sink taps are 1/2" bath taps 3/4", and a threaded adapter will be quoted as 15mm to 1/2 inch, or 22mm to 3/4"etc!

And here is another oddity:

In the USA: Copper water pipe is the inside diameter... while refrigeration pipe is the outside diameter.

So a 3/4 water pipe is in reality 7/8 outside...
While a 3/4 refrigeration pipe is in reality closer to 5/8 inside.

Standards... do not always seem so standard... :)

Could well be...

I used to run a remodeling co... we specialized in basement finishes. Did the water with copper pipe...
Then switched to heating and AC... noticed the copper pipe is a different size, yet called the same.
We have done a little commercial refrigeration (convenience store stuff)... even rigid pipe (tubing?) for refrigeration is the smaller size noted in the previous post.

Curious how sizes become 'standard'... :)

Just be thankful that you don't live in England, I've just bought some 12mm plywood, and it comes in a size of 8ft X 4 ft!
Brian

So does it match in thickness the current plywood...
Even in the USA... going from one manufacturer to another... could cause a difference of as much as a 1/16" in thickness... both are called 3/4 BCX at the big box stores.
Point to remember... always start and finish a project with the same brand of lumber... :)

Back