Piper reversible tapping head

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 3/8"-3/4" Piper reversing tapping head. There is a threaded hole on the side of the body. Is there supposed to be a threaded bar that goes in there to stop against the column of the pedestal drill to reverse the head?
Also how are the taps installed? I thought you would put them in and tighten the hex screws. But the tap wobbles? It has two sliding pins with a V and an hex screw on both. Sorry I forgot to take a picture.
Thanks
Martin

The back gear on the head of my mill has never worked and I thought I might want a drill press tapping head so I just watched several videos -

Yes, there should be a rod of some sort to keep the body of the tapping head from turning - it butts up against the column of the drill press.

The head reverses when you release downward pressure on the quill. There are two cones inside the head, one for forward/clockwise drive and when the downward pressure is released the upper cone then drives the tap in reverse and pushes it out of the hole. Pretty slick.

As to holding the tap, it sounds from your description like the two V-angled pieces should somehow grip the square end of the tap. A photo would help.

It is only a guess but there may be a part missing that centers the tap and the V-pieces are what actually drive it. I see some tapping heads on eBay that show a Jacobs flexible collet as part of the assembly. Just a guess.

Stu

I don't know the piper brand , I'd look for a parts description or manual . Some don't need the anti rotation rod. Look it up to make sure it may damage something if it's not made for it.

I made a rod that rides against the column. Works really well. I am impressed at how easy and quickly you can tap holes.
Thanks
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back