Pipe vs Tube strength.

Jmanb13

Registered
Registered
I know the difference in pipe vs tube comes to point of measurement and its intended use case.

Pipe = ID measurements for material transfer and tolerances are not super precise.
Tube = OD measurement for structural purposes, tolerances are tighter.

I'm planning to purchase some round tube/pipe to play with and make some stuff. Since i'm going to be turning things down to the actual dimensions I want, my question comes down to the following.

If the material is the same (Aluminum 6061) between the tubing and pipe is there actually any structural or strength differences between the two assuming they have the same wall thickness?

I ask because in general pipe is 25-40% cheaper than tubing.

Unlike steel pipe, aluminum pipe is extruded. That in mind, I doubt that there is any significant difference in strength. As you point out structural tubing is made to tighter dimensional tolerances. If you don't need those tight tolerances, I would think that the pipe would serve you just as well.

Last edited:
I would expect that if the pipe and tube are to the same material specification and temper, e.g. 6061-T6, and machined to the same dimensions, the final item should have the same strength.

Looking at McMaster, there is very little difference in price between pipe and tube. A piece of Sch. 40 1-1/2" pipe (1.900 x 1.610") is $23.96/ft. while 2" x 1-1/2" tubing is $24.39/ft. and 2" x 1-3/4" is $15.82/ ft.

My problem with pipe is that it has weird dimensions and is relatively thin walled so it usually results in a compromise in design.

And if I was not just practicing, would it make any difference assuming the final product had the same diameter and wall thickness?
The methods in how it's produced limits seamless pipe or tube for pressure applications. In most cases I think we expect to pay more for seamless product in any material category. The seam isn't as visible in welded structural pipe or tube as you find in steel or stainless steel but it's there, and the extrusion process cleans it up really nice.

Pipe is sized as nominal and the OD doesn't change and the wall thickness changes with the schedule of the pipe, with sch. 40 being called standard. If you want to be close on size when you begin then you might want to choose tubing. Price on pipe will be more expensive when you move from standard schedule 40. For the most part pipe in all the different materials which it's available is the same OD size.

From the hobby standpoint, if cost is a factor then practice or build your projects with what ever you have. Structurally the materials are the same in whatever the alloy you choose for both pipe and tube. I usually go with what I was taught when $$$ is a factor; "Don't trade labor for material." Seldom do the labor costs for producing a product weigh less than the material cost.

Looking at McMaster, there is very little difference in price between pipe and tube. A piece of Sch. 40 1-1/2" pipe (1.900 x 1.610") is $23.96/ft. while 2" x 1-1/2" tubing is $24.39/ft. and 2" x 1-3/4" is $15.82/ ft.

My problem with pipe is that it has weird dimensions and is relatively thin walled so it usually results in a compromise in design.

Seems McMaster has some interesting sourcing problems for pipe lol.
I'm only going to be cutting down a little bit of material so I don't need super thick wall. For this project, I'm just making some decorative legs. Its not going to hold tons of weight, but it will need to handle a decent amount.

Buymetal.com
1.25"OD .125 wall 6' tube - $42.11
1.315"OD x .133 wall 6' pipe - 16.87 ( This is 1" sch40 pipe )

The places I have called locally do not have as dramatic a price difference, but the price per foot is still cheaper per foot for pipe than tube.

From what it seems, as long as I am in similar dimensions it seems that either version is going to be plenty capable for what i'm doing and there isn't really any "structural" differences in the manufacturing process.

If I need thicker wall than Sch 40 or 80, obviously I would be moving to Tube because it has much larger options for wall thickness.

McMaster Carr stocks seamless pipe and I'm guessing there's more labor in producing/stocking 1', 3', and 6' lengths. I've never purchased seamless pipe and the tubing I purchase is seamless so there's a big difference in price.

McMaster Carr stocks seamless pipe and I'm guessing there's more labor in producing/stocking 1', 3', and 6' lengths. I've never purchased seamless pipe and the tubing I purchase is seamless so there's a big difference in price.

That would definitely explain the price difference.

Back