Pipe Sander

I presume that the white pulleys are Delrin (acetal). Can you provide the dimensions and the bearing numbers? I have recently had a need for something very similar recently. Good job, especially the price.

A neat solution to your problem. I'll have to file that one away for future reference!

The grinder is from HF $9.95 and the sanding belts are from Lowes 1"X42" $5.95 for package of three. The rest of the materials I had in the shop. The plastic is a mystery material but probably acetal. The grinder turns 11,000 rpms so I made the drive pulley the smallest diameter I could safely get away with to lower the belt speed. I drilled and taped the grinder output shaft 1/4 X 20 to attach the drive pulley. The idler pulleys are a little larger with sealed ball bearings but the size is not critical. I thought I may have problems with the belt tracking properly but that is not an issue and the geometry can be quite a bit off before there is a problem.

Thanks all

Ray

The grinder is from HF $9.95 and the sanding belts are from Lowes 1"X42" $5.95 for package of three. The rest of the materials I had in the shop. The plastic is a mystery material but probably acetal. The grinder turns 11,000 rpms so I made the drive pulley the smallest diameter I could safely get away with to lower the belt speed. I drilled and taped the grinder output shaft 1/4 X 20 to attach the drive pulley. The idler pulleys are a little larger with sealed ball bearings but the size is not critical. I thought I may have problems with the belt tracking properly but that is not an issue and the geometry can be quite a bit off before there is a problem.

Thanks all

Ray
Thanks, Ray...I will surely be putting one of these together.

T

Thanks all

Ray

Thanks Ray, I will surely be putting one of these together. I have some acetal and have been looking for a small project to see how it turns. John W

nice project
I could see a lot of uses for that
Steve

I wish I had seen this some years ago when I wanted a very narrow belt sander.
Nice job.
On an aside I wanted to sand the outside of some thin steel tubes so I flipped one of those belts inside out so the grit was on the inside, held the tube in the vice, used a skateboard wheel tight in the drill and placed it inside the belt loop, pulled tight and turned on.
It took a couple of goes to get the hang of the angles and belt tension but I was soon ripping paint, smoothing welds and the belt contoured around the tube.
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showt...inker-and-sander-part-1?highlight=tube+sander

Back