• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Pipe Sander

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
I presume that the white pulleys are Delrin (acetal). Can you provide the dimensions and the bearing numbers? I have recently had a need for something very similar recently. Good job, especially the price.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
A neat solution to your problem. I'll have to file that one away for future reference!

rdean

Active User
The grinder is from HF $9.95 and the sanding belts are from Lowes 1"X42" $5.95 for package of three. The rest of the materials I had in the shop. The plastic is a mystery material but probably acetal. The grinder turns 11,000 rpms so I made the drive pulley the smallest diameter I could safely get away with to lower the belt speed. I drilled and taped the grinder output shaft 1/4 X 20 to attach the drive pulley. The idler pulleys are a little larger with sealed ball bearings but the size is not critical. I thought I may have problems with the belt tracking properly but that is not an issue and the geometry can be quite a bit off before there is a problem.

Thanks all

Ray

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
The grinder is from HF $9.95 and the sanding belts are from Lowes 1"X42" $5.95 for package of three. The rest of the materials I had in the shop. The plastic is a mystery material but probably acetal. The grinder turns 11,000 rpms so I made the drive pulley the smallest diameter I could safely get away with to lower the belt speed. I drilled and taped the grinder output shaft 1/4 X 20 to attach the drive pulley. The idler pulleys are a little larger with sealed ball bearings but the size is not critical. I thought I may have problems with the belt tracking properly but that is not an issue and the geometry can be quite a bit off before there is a problem.

Thanks all

Ray
Thanks, Ray...I will surely be putting one of these together.

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
T

Thanks all

Ray
Thanks Ray, I will surely be putting one of these together. I have some acetal and have been looking for a small project to see how it turns. John W

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
nice project
I could see a lot of uses for that
Steve

savarin

Active User
I wish I had seen this some years ago when I wanted a very narrow belt sander.
Nice job.
On an aside I wanted to sand the outside of some thin steel tubes so I flipped one of those belts inside out so the grit was on the inside, held the tube in the vice, used a skateboard wheel tight in the drill and placed it inside the belt loop, pulled tight and turned on.
It took a couple of goes to get the hang of the angles and belt tension but I was soon ripping paint, smoothing welds and the belt contoured around the tube.
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showt...inker-and-sander-part-1?highlight=tube+sander

rdean

Active User
Good job. Buy the harbor freight router speed control and you'll have variable speed.
I will have to try that but I am a little concerned that the power will drop off quickly with the speed reduction.

Thanks All
Ray

gheumann

Active User
I've been looking at these. The new cheap chinese ones at $~175 are within reach, but I also thought about building one. Didi you make any drawings you might care to share?

FanMan

Active User
Nice... I'm visualizing a smaller version, perhaps with a Dremel motor...

Why three wheels?

rdean

Active User
That was design #1 and design #3 is much shorter and somewhat different.
The third wheel pivots so that the sanding belt can wrap around the material as it works.
I do intend to make the plans available in the future but sure when.
Thanks
Ray

cheesecutter

Swarf
Registered Member
Hi there,
new Member and I already think that with "shop-made tooling" I have found my favorite part of the Forum.
Its hard to tell from the Pictures but the idler Pulleys should bulge in the center. Does not take much and helps the Belt tracking tremendously

Container Above bottom breadcrumb