Pine Drill Grinder

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone ever seen / used a "Pine Drill Grinder"? I've played with it a bit, it does the basic relieved shape correctly, but seems to burn the ground surface (with the wheel freshly dressed, a light cut and not dwelling in any one spot).

I would like to get set up to split drill points. I'm not sure if modifying this for that task is the way to go, or make another tool for that task?

DSCF7072.JPG

DSCF7073.JPG

DSCF7076.JPG

DSCF7079.JPG

That looks like a decent drill grinder. Do you know what type of wheel is on it? A grinder like that should not burn drills when using light cuts with a dressed wheel.

nice drill sharpener! although i have not had the pleasure of using one, i have other specialized sharpening equipment using similar ideas.
we sharpen about 300 individual stellite blades a month, i use pink wheels when grinding stellite.
stellite is pretty tough stuff and i'm suspecting pink wheels would do ok on carbide- i'll need to do some experimentation to confirm though.
burn's badly if you stay in one spot for any length of time.
light, quick, cuts are advisable
good luck with the cool new machine:)

Reactions: Guv
The Radiac "pink" wheels don't do too good on carbide. Never tried them on stellite. Gonna have to break down and buy some diamond wheels to grind carbide. Also have to make sure you get the correct daimond wheels to grind carbide, too. Some are for grinding hard steel.

Very pleased with the drill grinder. I made a new rest - that took a bit of playing around to get the height. There are also two adjustments for the position of the drill and the position of the grinder head. It took a bit of fooling around to understand how the movements effected the shape of the ground surface (I'm sure a manual would be helpful). I got the burning sorted, dressed the wheel, let the drill bit cool from time to time, do the last grind to spark out with a cool bit - result is a very nice finish. Smallest I've tried is 17/32" and there isn't much curvature to the ground face. The name plate says it will go down to 1/4". I suspect it will look pretty weird. I am pretty content to just use it on the >3/4" and hand grind the small ones.

Hoping to one day sort out a PDS (precision drill sharpener) - similar to numerous presentation on this board and other sites (i.e. the excellent presentation by gadgetbuilder). However, that is another project. I'm happy to have turned a "boat anchor" into a working tool :) .

Very pleased with the drill grinder. I made a new rest - that took a bit of playing around to get the height. There are also two adjustments for the position of the drill and the position of the grinder head. It took a bit of fooling around to understand how the movements effected the shape of the ground surface (I'm sure a manual would be helpful). I got the burning sorted, dressed the wheel, let the drill bit cool from time to time, do the last grind to spark out with a cool bit - result is a very nice finish. Smallest I've tried is 17/32" and there isn't much curvature to the ground face. The name plate says it will go down to 1/4". I suspect it will look pretty weird. I am pretty content to just use it on the >3/4" and hand grind the small ones.

Hoping to one day sort out a PDS (precision drill sharpener) - similar to numerous presentation on this board and other sites (i.e. the excellent presentation by gadgetbuilder). However, that is another project. I'm happy to have turned a "boat anchor" into a working tool :) .

Good morning,

I recently purchased a Pine Drill Grinder, built after 1972, I know this because the ID plate has a postal code on it and the postal system was adopted from 1972 - 74 here in Canada. Based on the pictures show here there is a stop missing from the the "V" that the end of the drill would come in contact with as a stop I am guessing to orient the drill being sharpened. Marked on attached picture. I would appreciate any information, pictures, measurements, of that stop.
Missing Stop Marked - 2020.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Hi Mike, I'll send you some pictures. There is both a small bracket at the end of the "V" support, and then a metal strip screws to the bracket. This strip actually supports the drill bit (I think the width of the strip ought to be adjusted for different size drill bits).

It is a decent drill sharpener, for larger bit - it does take some fiddling to get it performing well. I never did find a manual (that would sure help with the various adjustments).

David

I don't think you can get enough movement range out of the grinder head to split points. What you have is a nice sharpener for standard points. If you're burning fine edges on HSS, try a Norton white wheel in 60 grit. I bet if you were creative you could set up and adapt a work head to achieve split points and 4-facet points. Either way, your drills will now last a very long time, since you can sharpen them like new anytime you want.

Hi Mike, I'll send you some pictures. There is both a small bracket at the end of the "V" support, and then a metal strip screws to the bracket. This strip actually supports the drill bit (I think the width of the strip ought to be adjusted for different size drill bits).

It is a decent drill sharpener, for larger bit - it does take some fiddling to get it performing well. I never did find a manual (that would sure help with the various adjustments).

David

Thanks any help would be appreciated I am also looking for a manual, If I find one I will be sure to share it.

Mike

Back