Pimped My HF 20 Ton Shop Press

I just knew I shouldn't look in this post. I just knew but I did. I've wanted a press for the last several years but haven't done anything about it until now. The wife wanted to got for a drive after the snow cleared off the road so off we go for a 80 mile trip to the only HF in the area, err maybe not in the area, and bought a 60603 and drug it home. It must be a really good one since I paid $184 for it, sales tax. I've got it set up and mounted on casters so now its hunt down the steel cable, clips, and a winch to finish it up.
By the way were did you find the cable and winch?

Jim
I bought this one on eBay. It's a good, strong one and has plenty of cable attached.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252072324909

20 tons. Well that is a lot of muscle. May I ask what kind of projects you guys are doing that require such power. Would this be the next step up from an arbor press?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am mounting aftermarket seats in my car and decided to make, rather than buy, the floor mounts. Here is an example of one of the mount tabs I made, 3/16" by 1 1/4" steel flat bar bent using my press brake and the HF 20 ton press.

tab1.JPG

ndnchf
I went to the close one. 48 miles away. It didn't start out that way I had to go 25 miles to the hospital for a blood draw and since I was out anyway I went to the local metal sales, Capital Industrial 43 miles away, and got the mounting plate for $4 and a block 3x2x1 to make the clamp base for my QCTP. But they didn't have a wench with a cable, nylon strap only, so on to HF for the wench. That was another 8 miles up the road and they had the wench for $26 but nothing else. So it was Tozier Bros Ace H on the way home for all the little junk. Ouch another $24 buckos. But now I have it all I just need to get to work.
Hey Thanks for the help.

sanddan
Did you make or buy your press brake and if bought from where?

Jim

Well, this thread got me off my butt to finally make a press brake attachment for my HF press. Been going to make one since I bought the press five or six years ago. So, anyway, after I got the brake finished I quickly realized that the addition of a winch was a necessity. I've had an old boat winch stored in my shop for 25+ years, but no cable, so off to HF for a cable. Fabbed up the required pieces and machined a spacer for the spool on the winch so the two cables wouldn't stack on top of each other and everything seems to work well. Now I just need a project that needs something bent. Some pics attached:
100_2789.JPG 100_2790.JPG 100_2794.JPG

Jim, I made mine.

I started with a similar design to the Swag but for the bottom die I have two 1" round bars. I set the spacing to get a tight bend on 1/8" to 1/4" plate. The 3/16" had an outside radius of 3/8" which is pretty tight. The first version used two pieces of angle iron which gave me a large radius bend which I didn't like. The 2 bars are welded to a plate that is captured in the press and can be swapped out for different ones depending on the thickness of the material you are bending.

Glad to see you guys getting your presses pimped too! It can be a pain gathering all the winch bits n pieces, but the effort is well worth it.

You're very welcome! If you need any more measurements....just let me know. I have 3/4 x 8 bar stock under my brake that is the width of my press. Before I got lazy and got the Swag, I was going to use the bar stock as the base. I was going to stand the die (angle) up on its "spine" and use 1/4 x 1 bar stood on its edge to support the angle, then bore the 3/4 x 8 for the guide rods, insert them into the holes maybe 1/8 and rosette weld them in from the bottom.
Just a note for anyone working from these measurements. That shaft collar is 1.690" ID not .690". I was just ordering one from McMaster-Carr and it struck me that the ram on the press is well over an inch in diameter. It's 1.625" so you need a collar for a 1-5/8" shaft.

Just a note for anyone working from these measurements. That shaft collar is 1.690" ID not .690". I was just ordering one from McMaster-Carr and it struck me that the ram on the press is well over an inch in diameter. It's 1.625" so you need a collar for a 1-5/8" shaft.

Oops....sorry. Fixed it. My shaft collar is for an 1-11/16 shaft. 1-5/8 might be small.

Last edited:
Found a real quick way to hold the handle up above the jack on the press. But what I did is put two Magnets from a couple of old hard drives on the cross rail above the jack. They hold things nicely

I bought the wheels from HF. They have 1/2" studs, but you'll need to get the nuts from a hardware store. They don't come with the wheels.
I just put the wheels on. 1/2" fine thread. Home depot only had course thread. I ordered nuts from the Nutty Company. Also ordered the assortment to save a million trips to Lowes/home depot. One last point is the holes have to be drilled out. Easier to do when you are putting together.

Back