Pimped My HF 20 Ton Shop Press

Thanks so much. I was trying to gauge the sizes from the pics and I missed several. I thought that punch was 1" stock and the angle was 45.

Thanks so much. I was trying to gauge the sizes from the pics and I missed several. I thought that punch was 1" stock and the angle was 45.

You're very welcome! If you need any more measurements....just let me know. I have 3/4 x 8 bar stock under my brake that is the width of my press. Before I got lazy and got the Swag, I was going to use the bar stock as the base. I was going to stand the die (angle) up on its "spine" and use 1/4 x 1 bar stood on its edge to support the angle, then bore the 3/4 x 8 for the guide rods, insert them into the holes maybe 1/8 and rosette weld them in from the bottom.

I added a fast pump jack from Northern tool to my HF 20 ton press. Takes about 6 strokes per inch of travel. Like it a lot better than the 40 pumps per inch of the original HF Jack.

Like the press!

I recently did the same thing. Picked up the press last month on a coupon sale on Saturday, went back on Sunday and used the coupon on the air over hydraulic jack. When I picked up the press I specifically had them find a 60603 model since I had seen the new design and I especially like the steel plates as opposed to the prior cast iron plates.

A couple of weeks ago I got the SWAG fingerbrake kit. I went with the regular kit as opposed to the heavy duty as I think it will be more versatile for my needs. I MIGed it and did have to be careful welding the angle iron into the bottom plate - I was worried about too much heat and distorting the plate. Fortunately it did fine. I made a base from some cut offs and added a set of casters that I already had around the shop.

I have not added a winch which I had kind of planned on.

Last edited:
:confused:Haven't quite figured out the picture thing yet

IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG

I like the tray and rollers under it. The air assisted jack is also nice.

Here's a link to a metal site that has details for making your own press. Parts list is about halfway down the page. Cheers.

I just knew I shouldn't look in this post. I just knew but I did. I've wanted a press for the last several years but haven't done anything about it until now. The wife wanted to got for a drive after the snow cleared off the road so off we go for a 80 mile trip to the only HF in the area, err maybe not in the area, and bought a 60603 and drug it home. It must be a really good one since I paid $184 for it, sales tax. I've got it set up and mounted on casters so now its hunt down the steel cable, clips, and a winch to finish it up.
By the way were did you find the cable and winch?

Jim

I bought the winch and mounting plate at Harbor Freight too. The winch was $20, the mounting plate was $5. Hopefully you can find them closer! The pulleys and clamps came from a True Value hardware store.

Back