Pimped My HF 20 Ton Shop Press

Yes, the top is easily pinched by those long bolts, individual bolts cost a little more, but resolves that issues and is a but stronger. I needed to make room for the pulley and cable so it was a needed change. Thanks for the heads-up on the press brake. Ive been looking at the different SWAG versions. I also found this one, which comes fully welded and ready to use and its a bit more affordable. I'd just use it for home projects, not serious industrial use. I think this would serve my needs. What do you think of it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112253837443?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I really like that ebay brake that you linked! Lightyears better than the Swag non finger brakes. The only trade off is capacity as far as length. The Swag is 19" and the one you linked is 12". Personally, had I found the ebay brake before the Swag, the ebay jobbie would be the winner. I also have a Connecticut 24" box and pan brake so....I am covered on wider, light sheet metal which would make that 12" brake perfect for me. I'm not too sure my Swag won't find its way into the scrap bin and the ebay brake find a new home in my shop.

Don't get me wrong, Troy at Swag is very good about customer service and they have some great stuff.

Just throwin' this out there....if you were inclined to build your own, I would be happy to give you the dimensions and tube and bar sizes, etc.

Thanks for the offer. But for the time, effort and money, I think I'll go with the one in the link.

I made a similar brake for my press and like the ebay one. Specifically the round bars for air bending and the insert with V groove for bending thinner material. I started with a design like Swag and changed to the ebay design as it worked better for thick material (using the round bars) and allows you to make different inserts for specific jobs. You could buy the materials for the ebay version for under $50 (I bet) but you would still have the labor to build.

I really like that ebay brake that you linked! Lightyears better than the Swag non finger brakes. The only trade off is capacity as far as length. The Swag is 19" and the one you linked is 12". Personally, had I found the ebay brake before the Swag, the ebay jobbie would be the winner. I also have a Connecticut 24" box and pan brake so....I am covered on wider, light sheet metal which would make that 12" brake perfect for me. I'm not too sure my Swag won't find its way into the scrap bin and the ebay brake find a new home in my shop.

Don't get me wrong, Troy at Swag is very good about customer service and they have some great stuff.

Just throwin' this out there....if you were inclined to build your own, I would be happy to give you the dimensions and tube and bar sizes, etc.

I would be interested in the dimensions for that eBay press brake. It looks like just what I want.

Now that I think about it, this would be my only brake and the 19" capacity would suit me better. I'm thinking I have most of the material for one but it would be nice to know the dimensions of the SWAG before I start my own. If you have time, that is.

Now that I think about it, this would be my only brake and the 19" capacity would suit me better. I'm thinking I have most of the material for one but it would be nice to know the dimensions of the SWAG before I start my own. If you have time, that is.

Here goes....

Punch: 3/4 x 4 x 19 1/2 HRS, 60 deg included angle bevel with a 3/32 flat
Angle (die): 1 1/2 x 1/4 x 19 1/4 (you will need to fab up a plate to weld the angle to and to install the vertical guide rods)
Shaft Collar: 2 1/2 od x 1.690 id
Springs (2): 3 3/4 x 1 3/16od x 15/16id
Guide Rods (2): 7/8 x 6 3/4 1018
Guide Tubes (2): 1 3/8 x .188 DOM 3 1/4 long

Please verify ALL of these dimensions first! Especially fitment of the guide rods and tubes. Hope this gets ya started. I did not include the stop for repeatable bends.......
Screenshot_2017-02-02-18-27-52.png

Last edited:
Back