Pimp My Mill...

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I finally got my new mill up and running, It will eventually be cnc'd but in the meantime I wanted to add some features to make it easier to use.
The first Items I added were the pushbutton control switches and the auto reverse that keeps the spindle rotation correct in accordance with the Forward & Reverse buttons when switched into either High or Low gear range. That project was posted Here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...y-pushbutton-switch-update.39157/#post-342502
Next, I found these "Angel Eyes" or "Halo" LED ring lights on eBay, normally used for adding some bling to a Beamer or street racer. I thought they would make a perfect spindle light.
IMG_8711.jpg IMG_8728.jpg IMG_8724.jpg IMG_8712.jpg IMG_8722.jpg
I used some small neodymium magnets taped to the ring as a temporary mounting. I will machine a permanant mount that will also incorporate the reader for the MachTach (to be added soon).
I also used magnets to temporally mount the switch to the head. The light works great, eliminates any shadows and really accentuates scribed lines.
Some other items I'm going to add:
Quill feed-lever mounted reverseing button,for tapping.
DRO.
Coolant system.
Maybe a new paint job, metal-flake candy apple red?

I like the light, I'm always fighting to get light into tight spaces, heck sometimes wide open spaces too.

Thanks for the positive responses so far.
Just to be clear, its not all about fancying it up, I did make the first tool on the mill, a chuck key for my lathe. I know its not much to speak of but it's a start.

IMG_8694.jpg IMG_8696.jpg IMG_8697.jpg IMG_8698.jpg

Man, I love that mill. If one were to suddenly show up in my garage I wouldn't even bother looking at knee mills any more as I suspect it's just as, if not more rigid than a small BP. I'd keep mine manual though. No CNC for me. :)

nice job on the key, mine is very old now and even twisted a bit at the end but I felt better for it to twist then to stress the chuck. guess there is room for argument there but still good for the last 12 years.

Gotta start somewhere, don't we? Nice work.
To to clarify, It's the first tool off the new mill, not the first for me, but thanks for kind words.
Man, I love that mill. If one were to suddenly show up in my garage I wouldn't even bother looking at knee mills any more as I suspect it's just as, if not more rigid than a small BP. I'd keep mine manual though. No CNC for me. :)
Thanks, I am very happy with the mill so far, it is indeed very rigid, it cut the drill rod like butter with no chatter at all and left a almost mirror like finish. I will retain full manual control when I add the CNC.
nice job on the key, mine is very old now and even twisted a bit at the end but I felt better for it to twist then to stress the chuck. guess there is room for argument there but still good for the last 12 years.
I bought the lathe earlier this year, it didn't come with a key for the chuck. I had been using a 3/8" ratchet wrench, the chuck has a 7/16" square recess, it worked but was sloppy. It was easy to make the key, only took about an hour.

Back