pilot bearing removal tip

Buzzer John

Registered
Registered
My last post under 3 phase motor connection on single phase got me thinking about quick and dirty ways of doing different jobs. The first one that came to mind is removing a pilot bearing from a flywheel. They make a puller to do that. However, there is a cheaper and quicker way to do it which works really well. Turn a dowel, wood or metal, to a close slip fit in the bearing. Fill the bearing with grease, insert dowel, tap with hammer and the bearing will back right out. I'm sure many of you have heard of this, but there are probably many who haven't. I would hope that anyone that has similar suggestions would add then to this post.
John

John

That is a very good tip that I have personally used many times when a dedicated puller was not available. Sometimes the simple and inexpensive way is the best way.

Bill

Another workable method is to tap the id and run a bolt through it and jack it out. I've used that, and the grease method. Both work.

Tony, how do you hold the inner race to keep it from turning while you run the tap in? ???

Highpower link=topic=1382.msg7426#msg7426 date=1300825181 said:
Tony, how do you hold the inner race to keep it from turning while you run the tap in? ???

HP...forgive the oversight. I had in mind the old fashioned bronze bushing style installation. Not going to tap an bearing race at all, anyway. My mistake, please pardon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, no harm - no foul Tony. I just wanted to know if I was missing something new. It wouldn't be the first time I've stuck my foot in my mouth questioning something, and then finding out there is another thing in this world that I am ignorant of. Yes it stings a bit at first, but I still come out ahead having learned something new. 8)
Thanks for clarifying.

Back