Pictures of things made in Home Shop CNC

Tom, I make emblems that have lettering and designs similar to the lettering on your fuel cap. The "tails" I experience are usually from wayward entry and/or exit settings of the cutter. So much so that a lot of the time I just slow the feed rate way down and do not use a ramp (helix, 3D path, etc) entry at all - just plunge at each level. For some of the fine detail I am using a high-speed spindle with end-mills in the neighborhood of 0.010", so easy entry is important.

USMC emblem is about 2.25" diameter

As a side note, I've managed to figure out ways to powder coat the designs instead of paint. Makes for a very durable product. Finish is usually either satin, burnished or polished to a chrome-like surface.

I think you hit on it. I had "tangent with a .125" radius" set as my leadout setting. I'll play with it in the morning.

Couldn't open your attachment. I get a forum failure error.

Tom S.

Attachment is just a picture of an emblem I made. Am I doing something wrong when I add the image to the post?

Attachment is just a picture of an emblem I made. Am I doing something wrong when I add the image to the post?

This is the error I'm getting.

Tom S.

The Hobby-Machinist - The FRIENDLY Machinist Forum - Error
You do not have permission to view media within this album.

I made an album to save the picture in instead of saving it to "members area" as I have before. I just noticed that the album is not for public viewing and I don't know how to make it public. So I moved it to the members area. Can someone tell me how to make my album public?

Last edited:
not a whole lot of CNC lathe work here. Lets see if we can change that. Finished up a stainless shift knob for my buddies GTI today.
20161005_212145-1_zps6ueskmge.jpg
20161005_212155-1_zpshnmxmjg2.jpg

had to make a split collar to hold it for the second operation
20161005_212255_zpstusp9b2i.jpg
20161005_203526_zpsdbmvyiua.jpg

Had a slow day in the shop so I thought it would be a good idea to setup my tool rack with a numbering system. I rarely have a job that takes more than four tools but it's always in the back of my mind that I not pick up the incorrect tool. Having them in a numbered rack hopefully will lessen the likelyhood that will happen.

Tags are 1/16" x 9/16" x 1-3/8" held in with a couple of #6 screws.
20161024_135519_resized.jpg

20161024_135654_resized.jpg

Tom S.

Had a slow day in the shop so I thought it would be a good idea to setup my tool rack with a numbering system. I rarely have a job that takes more than four tools but it's always in the back of my mind that I not pick up the incorrect tool. Having them in a numbered rack hopefully will lessen the likelyhood that will happen.

Tags are 1/16" x 9/16" x 1-3/8" held in with a couple of #6 screws.
Tom S.

Tom, I do the exact same thing with my tool holder. You may want to go one step further if you have a standard tool numbering and write the number of the tool on the holder as well. It's a good back-up in case "someone" puts a holder back in the wrong spot.

I've been watching the Fusion 360 video tutorials and playing around with it for a couple of months with the intent of learning enough to do some 3D machining. I finally got to where I can generate workable gcode. Here's a few pictures of my first attempt.

Tom S.

The two holes are not intentional. I used material from my scrap box and the holes were already there. I had tried some code at 1" total stepdown that didn't work out so well. This attempt was done at 1/2" total stepdown. That's why there are machining lines lines that show up just below the edge radius.
20161102_141242_resized.jpg

I roughed out the general shape with a 1/4" carbide end mill leaving .020" all around, then followed up with a 3/8" ball end mill semi-finishing pass taking .015" DOC. Finish pass was with the same ball end mill at .005" DOC.
20161102_141248_resized.jpg

The finish could have been smoother. Still learning!
20161102_141256_resized.jpg

20161102_141304_resized.jpg

Looks good for the first attempt. :encourage:

very nice and inspiring.

Back