Pictures of things made in Home Shop CNC

kvt,
would love it if you do a thread on the blackening you do. I have used heat and dip in oil with some success, the two things I found most important with this method is clean steel, and even red heat, but you can't let it scale. also cold bluing is a quick way to get a nice looking finish. Clean oil and baking at around 400 deg F I have got a kind of antique bronze looking finish. (I was going for black but it looked so cool I left it)
Mark

I haven't posted anything lately so I thought I would put up this weeks project.
I have a friend who has a winch for his parasail that he pulls behind a truck. The winch works fine
except on the rewinding of the line, you have to guide it onto the spool by hand to keep it from piling up in the center or one side.
He asked me to design a level line system like what is used on power winches and some fishing reels.
I needed to make a self reversing diamond thread shaft. These shafts are probably manufactured on a purpose built machine because
I could not find any information where someone has shown how to make one. So I figured it out after a day of trial and error.
I have included the emachineshop drawing and I'm wrapping the two lines around the Y axis 6 times in a length of 5" in d2nc to make the screw.
the zip file has the dxf file the emachineshop drawing and the tap file made with d2nc (g-code) for mach3.
with a .125 4 flute carbide endmill at 50 degrees per minute and 6000 rpm it took 12 hours to rough out and 1.5 hours for finish passes.
Thanks for viewing
Steve

DSCF1888.JPG DSCF1891.JPG DSCF1895.JPG DSCF1899.JPG DSCF1901.JPG DSCF1903.JPG DSCF1904.JPG DSCF1907.JPG DSCF1908.JPG DSCF1909.JPG DSCF1910.JPG

Attachments

• diamond screw.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 12
here are pics of designing and making the follower for the screw. If you look close you can see the compound angles. This was a prototype to check my code the actual one will be brass.
Steve
DSCF1913.JPG DSCF1914.JPG DSCF1915.JPG DSCF1916.JPG DSCF1917.JPG DSCF1918.JPG DSCF1919.JPG DSCF1920.JPG DSCF1921.JPG DSCF1923.JPG

DSCF1912.JPG

Last edited:
That is Awesome.

Very impressive design, layout and machining operations. You obviously love challenging projects.

Thank you for your kind words
I have to admit I find the challenge of figuring out how to make something with the tools I have built and the skills I have learned more interesting than watching the machines run for 12 hours....
In total it took 4 days to figure out how the get the machine to produce the screw and machine it and the follower.
feeds and speeds was an issue, my mill's spindle only turns 1980 rpm and that's slow for a 1/8" cutter. I began with that but 9 hours in and at only .060 deep
the cutter must have caught a burr and it snapped. ( this cold roll was really gummy ) at that rate the machine time would have been over 18 hours. I went with my high speed spindle then at 6000 rpm and this caused a different issue. the cutter is turning so fast it does not grab the material with every tooth and it will skip and jump unless it is under a lot of side force to maintain contact and consistent chip load. once I got it set correctly the second cutter survived the remainder of the job and is still sharp.
A problem in mach3 I have found is that it does not know the diameter of the stock in the rotary axis that the cutting speed for surface compared to rotary is wrong. the speed calculated for the cutter was 12 Ipm at 6000 rpm but when translated to rotary at a 1" diameter the actual speed had to be increased to 50 ipm and that equaled 50 degrees of rotation per minute.
All the software I use is either free or very low cost, Emachineshop for cad, D2nc for cam, G-Wizard CNC Calculator for speeds and cutter deflection and Mach3 for control.
Steve

Back