VN Picked Up A High Speed Subhead, Have Questionquestion

Jason Annen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got a real nice high speed sub head last week, it arrived today. Gears look new, bearings turn hard, but it's packed with what looks to be new, hard grease. I doubt it was used much. Here's the issue, it's for a 22 machine, and it won't fit either of my machines. I got a hell of a deal on it, so, has anyone made an adapter plate to use the bigger accessories on the smaller machines?

I think it would be possible because the heads look the same except for the attachment point. In fact, the quill portion has a 12 part number. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Jason

IMG_20160414_152955181.jpg IMG_20160414_153014952.jpg IMG_20160414_153058931_HDR.jpg

Next question, after looking at this for awhile, I am pretty sure the heads are the same except for the mounting point. Does someone have one of these that I could copy or trade? I feel that I can make a new base and then this would work fine.

Jason

The accessories catalog has the weight for the unit that fits the #'s 6, 12 &16 as 63 lbs.
The unit for the 22L, 22M, 26, 36 & 38 as 85lbs. so it appears that they are different in some way

Accessories were designed for all machines, and generally were either small (6, 12, 16 series) or for the larger (22, 26) series. In this particular case, it appears the high speed sub head is the same for all units, with the attachment point being the only difference. I am trying to confirm this. For the sub heads and slotter, this is not the case.

I think I can make this work.

Jason

Update,

I ended up getting a 2nd high speed subhead, this time for the VN 12. They are identical except for the casting that bolts to the cutter head. The 22 version has been traded to a member here, so I no longer have to deal with an adapter.

IMG_20160428_173005447_HDR.jpg

Left is for the 12, right for the 22.

Jason

Jason,

I see that you have the head for the 22 unassembled. Can you take some photos of the various parts and your disassembly procedure?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Yeah, may not be right away, but I can. I have cracked the 12 head open, and there are a few differences. These could simply be changes in production over the years.

Jason

Jason,

whenever you can get around to it; would be great, My wife tells me I'm on a 5-year plan (older members may get the reference).
thanks again

Back