• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Picked up a Barker PM

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

welderr

Iron
Registered Member
Well after a few years of patience a clean little Barker PM finally came up at a descent price on Craigslist and nobody beat me to it. I have access to heavy machines at work but wanted something small for in the basement mainly for cleaning up materials to use in my Atlas lathe and with its milling Attachment. Eventually I am going to fab up a horizontal arbor and support. First thing first is to go through the machine it's a 1954 clean it up check the spindle bearings and seals, get a vice for it and make some chips.
T J

C-Bag

Congratulations on your purchase T J. I'm very curious about this particular machine as there is one within striking distance but at $700 seems kind of high for my use. As a unrepentant tool junkie I've toyed with the idea of a small surface grinder. And even though this says it's a mill, it appears to be more suitable as a surface grinder. The effective travel of 3"x5" is also a worry as I don't think there are many mag vises that small.

Care to expand on what you have in mind for your PM and why you decided on the Barker over other machines? Right now I have a RF-30 mill/drill and an Atlas 7b shaper so I feel I've mostly got things covered except for a surface grinder. I have very limited space and need things to be portable so the Barker would fit the bill that way.

woodtickgreg

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Well after a few years of patience a clean little Barker PM finally came up at a descent price on Craigslist and nobody beat me to it. I have access to heavy machines at work but wanted something small for in the basement mainly for cleaning up materials to use in my Atlas lathe and with its milling Attachment. Eventually I am going to fab up a horizontal arbor and support. First thing first is to go through the machine it's a 1954 clean it up check the spindle bearings and seals, get a vice for it and make some chips.
T J
Pics?

5 7