Pic Of Atlas Lathe - May Buy - Atlas Experts Get In Here !!

1962guy

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I have located an Atlas lathe for sale. Seller wants $ 600.00. Does not know if it works. Sounds like the last owner has past away and current relative wants to unload it. Which model is this?

Is this a good project lathe?
I would love to own a Made In The USA lathe!
All opinions welcome!!
Am I biting off too much?

Atlas pic.jpeg

That is the lathe I wanted a few years ago. $600 is a fair price for that lathe on a stand with tooling that I can see. Likely will not be long before being sold and gone. Pricing is variable depending on where it is.

600 for a qc atlas sounds fair to me if its in reasonable shape.

Good enough for home hobby work.

It is pretty much as delivered way back when by the looks of it. Freshening anything up that might need it (is: lead screw, half nuts, etc) will get a touch pricey and bringing things up to more modern standards (ie: qctp, motors, tooling, etc) will cost you a decent amount of cash too.

It looks usable as is but a lathe is like a sickness and it won't be long before you'll be buying things like a qctp, boring bars, threading tools, indicators, measuring tools, etc, etc.....

I started out with a simple little atlas th42 and now it has a qctp, lighting, dro, DC Baldor variable speed motor, etc, etc.....

It's a sickness.....:)

Thanks "great white" and "pdentrem"!
Yes, the machine looks to be in original condition. What is qctp?

I sold one in much worse shape this summer for $600 without a steady rest and it didn't take long to sell.

That's nice and a very good price, I hope you've bought it already before someone steals it from under you..

10" Atlas with QCGB, steady rest, bull-nose center in TailStock... Who knows what tooling. Can't tell the condition of the ways or cross-slide or any of the other parts, internal or external. The price is attractive and the machine warrants a close visual inspection.

I warn corrosion on the ways can be very problematic so inspect this carefully. What may appear to be cleanable may in fact leave the bed with dips and sags after cleaning. As little as 1 or 2 thousandths loss can cause problems with accuracy and smooth operation of the carriage on the ways.

Spiral_Chips

I say go for it , if you have the room for it . What could go wrong ? OK well i'm sure some things will be worn out , but that's cool parts are available . I for one see big value in just the legs . But I'm pretty sure you want those legs and you want to do a restoration . If it were me , I would get it home start checking it out , clean it up and have a blast ! By the way , you are not biting off too much . But then on the other hand if you had to ask , oh forgetaboutitgoforit .

Back