Phase II tool post

msilhunter1

Active User
Registered
I have a southbend 9A. I'm about to buy a phase II from enco. I was wondering what size of hss to use on an axa and will chinese off-band will work on it too. Thanks Craig

I use 1/2" tools mostley in my axa. You can use enything up to 1/2" in it.

I heard that you have to cut the holder out some. I was just checking with that true or not. Thanks Craig

I use 1/2" tools mostley in my axa. You can use enything up to 1/2" in it.

Yup, I agree - My Phase II has been excellent, and I've used HSS tools as small as 1/4" and up to 1/2" in the tool holders. I've also got some of the tool holders from CDCO Tools and they will take up to 1/2" as well.

The only thing that I have noticed about them is that the hex sockets of the setscrews will strip out pretty easily. I solved that problem by getting a bag of 100 setscrews in the correct size from McMaster-Carr and replaced them all in all of my tool holders. Problem solved.

As far as cutting the holder out some, you might be referring to having to cut the bottom of the slot on the tool holders to get the tool to sit low enough, or milling off the bottom of each tool holder a bit to achieve the same thing. This can happen when too large a tool post is used on too small a lathe. Using a BXA tool post on a 9" lathe would create this problem. As long as you purchase the right tool post for your lathe, you should be fine. AXA (100) can be used on lathes up to 12" swing. BXA (200) can be used on most 10" lathes, and can be used on all 11" and bigger up to about 15". CXA (300) can be used on 13" to 18" machines, and the CA (400) can be used on stuff that is way bigger than hobby sized machines! Some folks have managed to get the AXA (100) to work on some of the 7" mini lathes, but I don't remember if any modification was necessary or not. An AXA should fit your 9A just fine.

As for HSS tool size, you will most likely find that having an assortment of tool sizes on hand will be your best bet. I find that I use mostly 5/16" and 3/8" bits. I have one or two 1/2", but it takes forever to get them ground to shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that you have to cut the holder out some. I was just checking with that true or not. Thanks Craig

I didn't have to cut enything out for my 12" craftsman lathe. But you might wan't to ask in the southbend forum. There are guy's in there that have the 9A and can answer that better.

Generally the cutter height is inline with the top of the tool shank for indexables. Measure the distance from the top of your cross slide (the surface where the tool post would sit) to centerline of the spindle, you have have over 15/16" height you should be fine with AXA & 1/2" tools. If you have slightly less the difference is what you would need to mill off the bottom of the holder if using 1/2" tools. If you want to use the oversized holders from Aloris or Dorian that will hold up to 5/8" shanks you will need at least 1" distance.

If you can swing the Phase II I that would definitely be the better buy. Still made in China but their quality control on them is much better than the unbranded China ones. Although the P/Ns may all be the same the China ones are not all equal in quality, there are many different manufacturers.

Back