[Newbie] Phase Coñverter

Jubil

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
OK folks,
I'm new but have a question. I have a rotary phase converter to power my machines. Sometimes it switches directions (polarity?). I turn machine on, check direction, then turn switch to other direction if necessary. (I hope this is a clear description). This is OK except on the K&T in which the motor must turn the same direction all the time, then I have to switch wires. Question is, can this problem be eliminated? Am I doing something wrong?

Because you are using a 3 phase motor to create the third phase it can start in the opposite direction from time to time due to only being fed by two phases and being cap started off the third leg. Now that being said, one way to ensure the correct direction is to bring the phase convertor motor part way up to speed in the correct direction and then apply power. I actually do this for a different reason. My reason is that my motor is so large that cap starting it isn't a reasonable option. Even though it's a 15 HP motor, it's physical size is that of a 50 HP motor and the armature is of that physical size too. I start mine with a drill motor (clockwise ) and then hit the run switch. My starter timer is removed so it will not apply power to the start capacitor contactor and it works like a dream.

Thanks for this info. I thought I may be doing something wrong and possibly damaging to my machines.

OK folks,
I'm new but have a question. I have a rotary phase converter to power my machines. Sometimes it switches directions (polarity?). I turn machine on, check direction, then turn switch to other direction if necessary. (I hope this is a clear description). This is OK except on the K&T in which the motor must turn the same direction all the time, then I have to switch wires. Question is, can this problem be eliminated? Am I doing something wrong?
Could you post a wiring diagram?

I will try to make a diagram when I return to shop.

Back