Pex pipe

Nothing will have uv light on it, but rodents could be a problem was told to put water by the poison so they can drink to death, the plumbing co today is $1500 lower than the last one was and a better install .

I hear ya Bob , and I hate feeding the pig but non of it will matter after I'm gone

I wonder if the "newer" colored pex has uv blocking in it? Be nice if the cretins who manufacture the stuff belatedly admit the problem and said "it's ok now...we fixed it" ...yeah....right...
Don't think so.
I left some of the red coloured pipe with oxygen barrier outside, it turned a white colour.

Greg

Likewise here, With perhaps twenty years left, I think about things differently. A twenty year warranty is a lifetime for me now.

I hadn''t even thought about rodents. My PEX is all exposed so unlikely to be teething exercise for rodents. I did have a squirrel cut through a plastic .fuel line on a Chrysler product though. I matched the tooth marks to a dead squirrel for a perfect fit. I have had thousands of % in rodent damage though. The house is fairly tight now and I run a diligent trapping program for the few that manage to sneek in through cracked doors but the out buildings ar e a different story. I had dinner with some friends , one of whom is a contractor. He waas doing a renovation on a 100 year old house and they discovered runs of electrical wiring in the attic where the rodents had stripped the insulation off leaving bare wires separated only by the air gap. Something to be said for running BX or conduit!

I have my house plumbed almost entirely with CPVC and PVC. Some of it has been in for almost forty years with no problem. It replaced all the old galvanized pipe.

Our well went out last year. The steel pipe rusted out where it connected to the cast iron donut that directs the water to the horizontal line and the entire length of pipe and submersible pump dropped some forty feet down to the bottom. The well driller managed to catch the end of the pipe and run a special tap(kind of like an easy-out) in so he could pull the old pipe. That's been replaced with PVC pipe now.

I am surprised to hear some of these issues as I have personally built over 1500 homes with pex, I just completed a 207 room Hyatt Andaz hotel and we used pex in all the rooms. I have had pex in all but three of the 31homes and two condos I have personally owned and only had a handful of leaks which occurred at a fitting or where a screw, or nail had punctured the pipe. I live in Phoenix so UV exposure is exceptionally high given our 300+ days of sun. This is just my experienc and two cents.

Back