Perfect Oil Can

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
I have seen a few posts about oil cans and repairing them. These are Reilang Swiss made oilers. I first came across them in the mid 70's when I was a Floorman Operator in a hydro electric generating station. One of my duties was to oil the flyball bearings of the governors with one drop of oil every month. These oil cans will work in any position when full and will easily dispense just one drop and they don't wear out. The one on the left is from the 70's and the one on the right is from the 90's. If you are an oiling perfectionist they're for you and they are still available.
Michael

ps. There is no rocket science inside of them. I have always thought that it would be a nice project to make one. You could make a beauty out of brass, maybe with aluminum accents. One of mine is just about empty - when I have it open I'll take some pictures of the inner workings and post them. The last one I bought was the flared base one from Princess Auto (in the 90's) and it struck me as a high end item for them to carry - it sure wasn't on the shelf long after I saw it and it was the last one in stock.

007.JPG

007.JPG

Last edited:
I got a new reilang oil can looks identical to your old one, and their little plastic squeeze bottle with a twist valve thing, both are amazing.

i've had experience with a number of cheep oil cans and it was always bad.

No doubt about it, the Reilangs are the best. Pricey, but worth it, I think. They work in any position, and they don't leak like the Golden Rod and all the other pump oilers I've had. I made the switch a few years ago, before McMaster dropped them from the catalog.

I got my last one from England through eBay - anybody know of a US source?

No doubt about it, the Reilangs are the best. Pricey, but worth it, I think. They work in any position, and they don't leak like the Golden Rod and all the other pump oilers I've had. I made the switch a few years ago, before McMaster dropped them from the catalog.

I got my last one from England through eBay - anybody know of a US source?

Ditto! I was looking for a source here in the states as well (maybe even Canada). All I could find was this guy on e-bay from Germany http://stores.ebay.com/Jens-Putzier-Werkzeuge?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 Says that he ships "Worldwide". I may have to find out.

-Ron

I need to look for inexpensive but good oil cans. The ones from Harbor Freight I have are not too sturdy. After just one use I went to refill the can, twisting off the top and some rivets holding it together at the top popped out. The hose droops and leaks oil as well. I've gotten some good stuff from Harbor Freight but this is not one of them.

Dave

Hello, i just looked at the shop i got mine from, they say they ship to the us hears the website just incase its handy,

http://shop.ajreeves.com/

i didnt check the shipping prices, so may be prohibitive.

maybe this is a mini project that needs to be done, could base the container on a "purdies" mineral drink bottle (its glass but has a plastic suround that would stop it shattering.

:anyone:

Have a look at this site for these oil cans, Blackgates Engineering UK and they ship worldwide.
An excellent piece of kit, would not be without one !
http://www.blackgates.co.uk/reilang.html
Forgot to say you need to go to the home page and download the catalogue to see the prices and you should be able to have your order sent tax free 20% so well worth doing.

Back