Pelican case top box.

bmw rider

Active User
Registered
Pelican cases are quite commonly used as motorcycle luggage since they are durable and water tight. I decided to use one as a top box on my BMW F800GS. The most common attaching method is to simply bolt the box directly to the motorcycle rack, but I wanted to be a ble to remove it easily and without emptying it to get at the fasteners. I'm using it as my camp kitchen kit, so I want to be able to carry the whole thing over to the camp site and set it up for use.

Here's the set up.

IMGP0872.JPG

The luggage rack it mounts to. I took advantage of it's trapezoid shape.
IMGP0874.JPG

From the underside
IMGP0871.JPG

Bottom view off the rack
IMGP0875.JPG

Side block
IMGP0876.JPG

Rear block and securing plate held with thumb screws
IMGP0877.JPG

disassembled
IMGP0881.JPG

I used the case a couple weeks back for a trip and it worked perfectly even pounding over some rough back country roads and trails. I didn't have the machining all done then, I just roughed out the pieces and threw it together to get going as it was kind of a last minute job. Since the concept proved out on that trip, I spent a bit of time cleaning up the parts and making it all look nice. I originally used some plastic knobs on the bolts, but they were a bit tight to get into place, so I made up the lower profile aluminum knobs.

Nice job. I'll have to show that to my brother the biker.

Chuck

I use Pelican cases for all my photo gear for years now. Great company to work with, and great gear.

Many of the accessories are pretty modular too. I have NEVER had a leak! They have seen plenty of water, airports, and rough treatment.

Bernie

Nicely done. Gives me ideas and motivation for my own rack system.

Back