Pass Around 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got home from work this evening and find a tree branch laying in the front yard. Okay, that happens some times. Then I see a small hole in the side of the camper. Crap. Oh well, it can be fixed without too much fuss, so no big deal. Decided to move the camper to its winter parking spot since we will not be using it anymore this year. Got in the pickup and turned the key... nothing. Turns out that my wife left the refrigerator turned on in the camper two weeks ago when we got back from a short camping trip. Since the propane was shut off and it was not plugged in to shore power, it ran on 12vdc until the camper and pickup batteries were all dead. (Sigh). Okay, put the battery charger on it and I move on to the next project, replacing a couple of damaged threaded inserts in the pass around box. I ended up with a type of insert that I never cared for, but I figure I will give them a try. Installed the first one, and it did not go well. Got it drilled out and tried again with the same disastrous result. Grrrrrr.

Decided that without bad luck I would have none at all. Gave up, came in the house and got a cold, refreshing adult beverage. Got on the computer and ordered some proper rivet-nuts from McMaster. Should have them by Thursday. They come in bags of 25, so I will use 2 on the box, keep a half dozen or so for future use, and the remainder will go in the box so they are available to other participants should they be needed for the box itself.

On the other hand, Dad is doing much better, he walked 86 feet today during physical therapy. They cut his pain meds in half so he is no longer in a zombie like stupor, he is back to his old self again.

Glad to hear your dad is mending well. Now for the bad luck or no luck at all. For the longest time that was me.. I've been fortunate lately, so I'm appreciative.. Just thought I would say that. Thank you.

Box repairs are complete. Extra rivet-nut inserts along with a simple installation tool and instructions are now in the box along with all of the good stuff. Instructions for the installation of inserts are included for the benefit of those who have never used them before. In the event that the instruction sheet becomes damaged, a new one can be downloaded right here. More to come shortly.

Attachments

• Rivet-nut insert instructions.pdf
    98.9 KB · Views: 11
Okay, the pass around box is all bundled up and ready to go. USPS will pick it up here on Monday and member b100 should see it by Wednesday, 9/20. I had hoped to have it out of here before noon today, but an unexpected invitation to breakfast this morning by an old friend threw my planned schedule for today right out the window.

I want to thank everyone for their understanding on the time that the box spent here. In the past I have always been patient when the box stalled and encouraged others to be patient as well. This time I was able to experience the sort of events that always happen to "everyone else" in a first hand manner. It is strange to see how life can throw curve balls at the most inopportune times!

I did take the time to read through the log book before closing up the box. Doing so gave me a sense of awe as I read through the list of people that have participated thus far. People that are all of a like mind and with a common interest. THANK YOU to everyone that has participated and that plans to participate in the future.

Here is a photo of the items I kept from the box: Some pieces of lead, a small reamer, a 'gas' label, a metric end mill, a small drill and countersink combo, and some carbide inserts. There were some other items that I considered, but figured that somebody else might have more use for them than I do.

20170916_213203.jpg

I have enjoyed reading through this, as I've been away for a couple months. As someone else also said, it's at least as much fun to see what everyone takes that I put in than it is to get them yourself. It's a strange variation of the feeling of gift giving at Christmas, but sporadically occurring as you never know when your items will be selected.

The map of where it's been was really cool. My lonely dot in Utah is a great, graphical representation of why its relatively hard to find used machinery around here.

I got so much last time, because as I said at the time I had to make room for things to put in it, that I don't think it would be appropriate for me to put myself on the list again for a while. But I still have more that I can share that didn't fit, so if anyone discovers that the volume is getting a little low please let me know and I can send some things on to the next one on the list at the same time you do (or directly to you if others don't mind waiting a few extra days for that process). It would seem a shame that the Large priority box wasn't used, except for the truly staggering weight that would inevitably result. :)

The box was sitting in the middle of my driveway when I got home. It's the first time the mailman hasn't placed a box next to my garage door. I'll start digging into it tomorrow.

The box was sitting in the middle of my driveway when I got home. It's the first time the mailman hasn't placed a box next to my garage door. I'll start digging into it tomorrow.
He just couldn't hold that damn box up any longer!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mine just put a not in the box and says to go pick it up at the post office.
if they left it in my driveway it would prob be gone by the time he got around the block. Just a fact of life living it a big city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back