Pass Around 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goal was with this and the other items I put in, was to exceed the "value" not necessarily $$$'s of what I took out. I would like to propose this as the goal of anyone adding their name to the list.
Yeah , judging from how I got the box, that would be a good idea .

I do not have a lot, so it is what can I use, and what do I have that others would use more than me. I must pick pretty good as they normally go fairly quickly, Of course some times I have a tendency to find unusual stuff so I pass that along as well. And several have gone quick

I just got the box today, all 41 lbs of it! The women at the post office were curious what could be so heavy so I explained how it travels around the country sharing tools among hobbyists. There's lots of good stuff in it and I'll post pics once I decide what to keep. I'm also going to do a bit of box repair, and I expect to have it re-stuffed and mailed out early next week.

Here's what I took from the box:

Three pieces of M2 tool steel, which I can use to make other tools
A bag of stainless screws
A speed and feed calculator (I've been wanting one)
A small double-tapered reamer
A parting blade, broken on one end but usable on the other
A 1/2" & 9/16" wrench, never seem to have enough of those
Two pipe taps 3/8" and 1/2", sizes I was missing
12 TIG filler rods, 0.043" x 36": 5 Alloy 625 and 7 Alloy W

I'm especially glad to get the Alloy W filler rods, which I've been wanting since they can work with almost any kind of steel and are good for dissimilar metals.

tools.jpg

I was tempted by a few other items, especially one with the word Starrett on it, but decided to pass them on. I did cull some well-travelled and in my estimation less-desirable chunks of metal, which I will consign to the scrap bucket, in order to make room for some of the stuff I added. Among other things I added a new tool that I made myself, and I hope this will start a new tradition. I'm not suggesting that it should be a requirement, but if you have the time and inclination then I suggest that adding a small handmade item is a nice way to share with fellow tool enthusiasts.

The box had some cracks starting in the corner welds, which I re-melted with my TIG torch, and I'm still learning TIG so the results are not exactly beautiful but it should stop the cracks from propagating. I also put screw inserts in the holes that were missing them, and I used inserts with thicker flanges on the corners where the holes were very close to the edges of the brackets. I counterbored the inside of the top so it would sit flat around the inserts, maybe not an ideal solution but it seems much sturdier now that it has all 8 screws secured.

Since Monday is a holiday, I will get this in the mail to NTHER91 on Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
Here's what I took from the box:

A bag of stainless screws

12 TIG filler rods, 0.043" x 36": 5 Alloy 625 and 7 Alloy W

I'm especially glad to get the Alloy W filler rods, which I've been wanting since they can work with almost any kind of steel and are good for dissimilar metals.

Hastelloy W and Inconel 625 Wire (required a creative fit into the box)...figured that would be a good thing to add , . along with the stainless screws. I have 5 more pounds of them ! Hold on to that Hast W rod for when you're in a pinch . It's pricey rod and hard to come by

Hastelloy W and Inconel 625 Wire (required a creative fit into the box)...figured that would be a good thing to add , . along with the stainless screws. I have 5 more pounds of them ! Hold on to that Hast W rod for when you're in a pinch . It's pricey rod and hard to come by
Thanks! Yes I know the W is precious stuff, and for that matter the 625 is nothing to waste, and I won't even try them until I have much more experience with the torch. It's nice to have them on hand though, as I'm sure they will be put to good use at some point.

Thanks! Yes I know the W is precious stuff, and for that matter the 625 is nothing to waste, and I won't even try them until I have much more experience with the torch.
Yes, I was going to say exactly that but didn't want to sound condescending so I was a little more open with my wording...so yeah, hold on to it til you're pretty confident with your welds. If you haven't already, be sure to check out Jody Colliers channel, it's a great resource for pretty much anything you'd ever wana know how to do. Most of it all boils down to his one video here--->
Good luck with the TIG !

Got the box yesterday, I'll be going through it this weekend and as soon as I get the DVD I'll copy it and send it on its way. I did take a quick look this am and I'm glad I am on the list. I also think adding home made tools is a great idea!!! I'll see what I can add. It will be hard to fit everything in that's I want to give !! Haha. I want to get rid of so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back