• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Pass Around Box 2017

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I unexpectedly ended up out of town for a few days including this past weekend. My wife tells me that a very heavy package showing up on Saturday, so it will be waiting at home for me when I get there tomorrow night. I also just remembered that there's no sense in me being in a hurry because there is no one else after me on the list at the present time. Well, at least there wasn't the last time I looked at the list. I will try and get at the box tomorrow night but it maybe this weekend before I have it ready to go back out again.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
All I can say is WOW!! That box is packed! I got home late last night and basically had just enough time to open up the box and get a peek inside. I thought it best to leave rummaging through the contents until a time when I can do so at a more leisurely pace. Back on the road now until Friday morning, so I will have more to report and some photos to share this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Got back home last night and started going through the box. I got about three quarters of the way through it when my phone rang. My dad (he's 80) fell last night at my brother's cabin and broke his femur. They airlifted him out of northern Wisconsin back to Minneapolis where he is currently undergoing surgery to have a steel rod put in. Thought I would head back home here for a break while he is out for a few hours. Took a quick nap and getting ready to head back to the hospital shortly, but thought I would post here quickly. I am planning to get the box back in the mail by Tuesday since we now have another person on the list. Photos of my "keepers" coming soon.

hman

Active User
Best wishes for your Dad! Hope the healing goes well and quickly.

kvt

Active User
Hope he does well, . Take care of him I think people would agree the box can wait till things settle down a little for you. My mother is in her 80s and I worry about here as well.

autonoz

Active User
Sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery. Take the time to tend to him and your family, the box can wait.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Looks like the box needs a little work before it goes out again. One of the threaded inserts is stuck on the screw, and one is stripped. I've got a tool for setting Riv-nuts like that, but I am currently out of that size of nut. Local hardware store does not have them, but I believe that another, larger store in the next town has them. Will need to stop and pick up a couple so that I can fix it up.

I will not get the box back out as quickly as I had hoped, but messing with it is a little get away from the other things going on right now.

Many thanks to all of you for the kind words for my dad. He is doing a little better each day, but progress is slow at this point. His pain meds must be some pretty good stuff, he tried to eat a green paper napkin today, must have thought it was lettuce or something.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
So I got home from work this evening and find a tree branch laying in the front yard. Okay, that happens some times. Then I see a small hole in the side of the camper. Crap. Oh well, it can be fixed without too much fuss, so no big deal. Decided to move the camper to its winter parking spot since we will not be using it anymore this year. Got in the pickup and turned the key... nothing. Turns out that my wife left the refrigerator turned on in the camper two weeks ago when we got back from a short camping trip. Since the propane was shut off and it was not plugged in to shore power, it ran on 12vdc until the camper and pickup batteries were all dead. (Sigh). Okay, put the battery charger on it and I move on to the next project, replacing a couple of damaged threaded inserts in the pass around box. I ended up with a type of insert that I never cared for, but I figure I will give them a try. Installed the first one, and it did not go well. Got it drilled out and tried again with the same disastrous result. Grrrrrr.

Decided that without bad luck I would have none at all. Gave up, came in the house and got a cold, refreshing adult beverage. Got on the computer and ordered some proper rivet-nuts from McMaster. Should have them by Thursday. They come in bags of 25, so I will use 2 on the box, keep a half dozen or so for future use, and the remainder will go in the box so they are available to other participants should they be needed for the box itself.

On the other hand, Dad is doing much better, he walked 86 feet today during physical therapy. They cut his pain meds in half so he is no longer in a zombie like stupor, he is back to his old self again.

woodchucker

Glad to hear your dad is mending well. Now for the bad luck or no luck at all. For the longest time that was me.. I've been fortunate lately, so I'm appreciative.. Just thought I would say that. Thank you.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Box repairs are complete. Extra rivet-nut inserts along with a simple installation tool and instructions are now in the box along with all of the good stuff. Instructions for the installation of inserts are included for the benefit of those who have never used them before. In the event that the instruction sheet becomes damaged, a new one can be downloaded right here. More to come shortly.

Attachments

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Okay, the pass around box is all bundled up and ready to go. USPS will pick it up here on Monday and member b100 should see it by Wednesday, 9/20. I had hoped to have it out of here before noon today, but an unexpected invitation to breakfast this morning by an old friend threw my planned schedule for today right out the window.

I want to thank everyone for their understanding on the time that the box spent here. In the past I have always been patient when the box stalled and encouraged others to be patient as well. This time I was able to experience the sort of events that always happen to "everyone else" in a first hand manner. It is strange to see how life can throw curve balls at the most inopportune times!

I did take the time to read through the log book before closing up the box. Doing so gave me a sense of awe as I read through the list of people that have participated thus far. People that are all of a like mind and with a common interest. THANK YOU to everyone that has participated and that plans to participate in the future.

Here is a photo of the items I kept from the box: Some pieces of lead, a small reamer, a 'gas' label, a metric end mill, a small drill and countersink combo, and some carbide inserts. There were some other items that I considered, but figured that somebody else might have more use for them than I do.

20170916_213203.jpg

intjonmiller

I have enjoyed reading through this, as I've been away for a couple months. As someone else also said, it's at least as much fun to see what everyone takes that I put in than it is to get them yourself. It's a strange variation of the feeling of gift giving at Christmas, but sporadically occurring as you never know when your items will be selected.

The map of where it's been was really cool. My lonely dot in Utah is a great, graphical representation of why its relatively hard to find used machinery around here.

I got so much last time, because as I said at the time I had to make room for things to put in it, that I don't think it would be appropriate for me to put myself on the list again for a while. But I still have more that I can share that didn't fit, so if anyone discovers that the volume is getting a little low please let me know and I can send some things on to the next one on the list at the same time you do (or directly to you if others don't mind waiting a few extra days for that process). It would seem a shame that the Large priority box wasn't used, except for the truly staggering weight that would inevitably result. :)

bl00

The box was sitting in the middle of my driveway when I got home. It's the first time the mailman hasn't placed a box next to my garage door. I'll start digging into it tomorrow.

vtcnc

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The box was sitting in the middle of my driveway when I got home. It's the first time the mailman hasn't placed a box next to my garage door. I'll start digging into it tomorrow.
He just couldn't hold that damn box up any longer!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kvt

Active User
Mine just put a not in the box and says to go pick it up at the post office.
if they left it in my driveway it would prob be gone by the time he got around the block. Just a fact of life living it a big city.

bl00

I was screwing the lid back on last night, got to the second to last screw and uh oh, where'd the last one go? It was nowhere to be found on my bench, so I must have accidentally packed it up. After removing the lid I decided there was no way I was digging through all that stuff to find it, so I went out and bought a replacement. Here's a pic of what I took out: drill bits, screw assortment, metric transposing gears, gas sticker, thread gauge, couple of taps and two clamp thingys. The box is now enroute to Oregon.

IMG_0320 (Small).JPG

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I almost kept those transposing gears, then realized that they are a different DP than the gears on my lathe. Glad to see that you can make good use of them. Now I just need to get my horizontal mill going and make some transposing gears of my own.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
What is the latest on the box? Last we heard it was headed from Virginia to Oregon, just a little over a week ago. It should have arrived at bfk's doorstep by now, but no word of its arrival as yet. Can anyone shed any light on its current location?

On another note, bfk is the last person on the list. The box has visited 30 individuals since leaving New Hampshire back in late January. It would be great to see this thing keep going, but we will need some folks to sign up in order for that to happen. Alternatively, we could 'park' the box for a while and start it up again next year or whenever there is more interest again. Maybe everyone is 'passed out'?

bfk

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Sorry for the silence, I've been sidelined by an allergic reaction to a wasp sting. Who knew you could develop an allergy at 65. Can't reccommend it. Now I get to carry an (outrageously expensive) Epipen everywhere.
I should have it ready to go later this week, if it has anywhere to go. It can snooze here for a while if it has no where to go. There's some good stuff in there, I'm not sure what it all is, but I'm learning.
By my reading of the rules anyone who was in the first 20 recipients can sign up again---you never know what might have been added in the last few months.

Jeffers

Active User
What is the latest on the box? Last we heard it was headed from Virginia to Oregon, just a little over a week ago. It should have arrived at bfk's doorstep by now, but no word of its arrival as yet. Can anyone shed any light on its current location?

On another note, bfk is the last person on the list. The box has visited 30 individuals since leaving New Hampshire back in late January. It would be great to see this thing keep going, but we will need some folks to sign up in order for that to happen. Alternatively, we could 'park' the box for a while and start it up again next year or whenever there is more interest again. Maybe everyone is 'passed out'?
I would be happy to receive it again to keep this moving, always something to pass along to someone else in my collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodchucker

Epipens were not expensive long ago. But then the greedy pharma exec pushed to make it mandatory in all schools, they had to have 2 per pack, and once it was mandated, the price went skyrocketing. Our system (broken) at work. Greed wins, It's not good business sense , it's not capatilism, it's greed.

kvt

Active User
Agree, what ever happened to just making a small profit, You would be able to sell more if you just made a little on each item instead of trying to get rich on as few as possible. Sorry will get off my soap box.
Back to our regular scheduled program. Yes people that are many diff items in the box by the time you get it again. I have had it twice this year, and there may have been a couple of items but not much. IF not for the fact I just had it a few people ago, I would do it again. Some stuff goes quick. I would like to see it keep going. Just my 2 cents worth.

autonoz

Active User
I have been in contact with Terry and with the list dwindling down we have decided to have the box shipped back to myself. I have added Jeffers to the list so he will be the last person to receive it in 2017, unless someone else shows interest in receiving it this year. kvt I was not sure if you really wanted it or not. Let me know. With the holiday season approaching I imagine there will be a slow down on getting the box out so it seems like a good time to end this for the year. A new spreadsheet will be made and the box will begin its new journey in 2018 if there is enough interest shown. Please comment on here if you plan on participating next year. Thank you to everyone who participated this year. The box has been to many states ind has been in the hands of a lot of folks with common interests. A big thank you to Terry for his continued efforts in making this a successful venture. bfk please contact jeffers for his shipping information.

kvt

Active User
I am again interested In participating next year. By that time I may have some different equipment, or be needing tools to use on equipment I barrow. Also depends on what the wife lets me have for xmas. Would not mind being down a few as give several a chance before me since I just had it not that many back.
Thanks Terry and Autonoz for running this. And trying to keep us on track. Best of luck and wishes for the upcoming holidays for the next 3 months.

extropic

Active User
Please add me to the 2017 list before you "winterize" it.
I'm thinking of a few contributions that are relatively compact and not very heavy.
It seems like the box has flowed along nicely for most of 2017.
Being almost next on the list reduces the risk of negative effects from the box getting sucked into a "black hole".

[6]
5 [7]