Pass Around 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

What kind of screws are missing from the box? Flat head socket cap in 1/4"-28? What length? I work near a nut & bolt specialty supplier so I should be able to grab some more before I get the box if someone can say with certainty what I need to get.

1/4 -28 slotted flathead....length only needs to be about 3/8

I picked up a dozen 1/4"-28 x 3/8" flat head screws. They only had socket drive, but I trust anyone can operate them. :) I'll replace the missing ones and tape the bag with the rest to the inside of the box when I get it.

Yeah, how 'bout some pics? We're all tool voyeurs in reality ya know.... wink, wink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back