• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Pass Around Box 2017

kvt

Active User
well the box is at the post office, Have to go pick it up. with work, hospital etc may be a couple more days, other half should get out of hospital tomorrow, but will have to watch keep an eye on her a bit not she will not be able to do much besides sit in a chair or be in bed for a few more days. Sorry for the delay.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
No problem, Autonoz. Glad to help.

So where are the pics of the new shop? Without photos it didn't happen ya know. :grin:

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Ken, the delay is no problem. It will be a relatively slight delay in the grand scheme of things anyway. Thanks for keeping us all up to date!

kvt

Active User
Box is on it's way to VTcnc as of this morning. Will be sending him the tracking number.
took out a few small items, and replaced with others. Trashed one item that was in the box, Someone had put a large plastic syringe that was in small pieces in the bag.
Box is still in good shape except for the striped screws. If anyone has any of the press in screw thread inserts along the way. Did not have any or I would have tried to put some more in.
Also the box must have gotten really hot at tome point as you can see the shielding on the reamer melted. And there is another piece in the box with melted stuff on it. Hope someone likes the stuff I put in .
IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

vtcnc

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Evening all,

Received the Pass Around Box from kvt today. Everything arrived in one piece!

Condition of the box: corner screw inserts are stripped out. The middle inserts on each side are still good so go easy on those when you remove and close the lid and I think it will last a couple more shipments. I don't have any inserts to put in there...maybe someone else can come up with an idea?

Lots of good stuff in that box...I attached a photo of my prize. Hopefully someone down the line likes what I replaced it with.

FanMan is next on the list. PM'd him for his address and will get it out as soon as I get his address.

Attachments

JayMcClellan

My name is Jay and I am a screwinsertaholic. It's been weeks since I last used one and I'm itching. I have even more sizes of screw inserts than I have vises (and vices), which is saying something, so if the box still needs inserts by the time it reaches me I'll be glad to screw it up. :)

FanMan

Active User
Received the box today and am perusing the contents. Some neat stuff. Sent jpfabricator a message to get his address to send it to him next. Will post photos of what I keep.

jpfabricator

Active User
PM sent FanMan! I've got some things set aside allready.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

FanMan

Active User
Still have the box. Sorry for the delay; I have to be out of town for a few days, I will send it out as soon as I get back.

kvt

Active User
It keeps getting stuck. every once and a while, at least he has been on the site recently from what I see.

FanMan

Active User
I apologize for the delay; I've been out of town. The box is now on its way to jpfabricator, USPS tracking number 9505 5121 6347 7121 0878 11. I removed a neat little indicator, an LED ring light, and a drill grinding attachment.

IMG_20170430_174538837[1].jpg

The ring light will go nicely around my mill's spindle. I've been thinking of getting one anyway; this one will give me an excuse to play with my new rotary table (used only once so far) to make a nice bezel for it. A couple of the LEDs are burned out but most work, good enough.

I debated the drill grinder, but I couldn't get it to fit back in the box, so I kept it and found something else small to add.

The indicator is interesting. 110 years old, a predecessor, I guess, of the modern DTI. It didn't work at first, but I took it apart (it has a beautifully fitted dovetail cover to access the innards) and bent the pointer until it worked again. Probably not really useful in a modern shop unless needed to measure something in a really tight space, but checked against a modern indicator, it's accurate. It's dual purpose, it workes as a plunger type indicator on the left side and a side lever on the right side. But the really cool part, for me, is that it was made in Nyack, NY, the town I was born in, and I grew up in West Nyack.

IMG_20170410_103906073[1].jpg

IMG_20170410_103939877[1].jpg

jpfabricator

Active User
The box made it to me yesterday. Me and the kids will got through it tonight and get it back in circulation.

jpfabricator

Active User
I have taken, and added!
I will try and get the box rolling again tomorrow, Cluelessnewb, be on the look out!
20170504_203525.jpg
The last word indicator looked like it was shure to get broken if I didn't keep it..........so it's now in the toolbox.[emoji6]

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
Box arrived today. I should have it back on the road before the end of the week.

I have sent a PM to Subwayrocket, the next name on the list requesting an address.

Last edited:

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
This is what I took, 2 5C collets, 2 slitting saws, large tap wrench, key stock, card with tap drill size table, piece of M2 HSS.

One old wrench and one slitting saw were broken so I removed them. I also wrapped up some items in paper to cushion and help keep stuff from bouncing around.

Box will be on it's way tomorrow.

pass_around2017.jpg

Subwayrocket

Judging by the pics, it looks like there "were" some nice items in the box . I looked at every item in the box but it's slim pickings now.
I found nothing I would want or need in the box. :hate:

I added a few nice NOS items and some other things for the people ahead of me .
The box went out this morning .

DAT510

Box arrived yesterday. All 38+ lbs of it. I'll have it back in circulation Tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

intjonmiller

I removed a neat little indicator, an LED ring light, and a drill grinding attachment.

View attachment 232618

The ring light will go nicely around my mill's spindle. I've been thinking of getting one anyway; this one will give me an excuse to play with my new rotary table (used only once so far) to make a nice bezel for it. A couple of the LEDs are burned out but most work, good enough.
Glad it will work for you. It was just a little too small for mine, despite a description online listing numbers that would have worked. I never even turned it on, so I had no idea any LEDs weren't working. If you have any SMD soldering skill you may be able to repair it?

DAT510

The Box is back on the road. Found a Tap and a couple of end mills I could use.

Hopefully what I added, someone will find useful.

BTW, for those down the line. I recommend when you go to the Post Office for a Med Sized Priority Mail Box, you pick up more than one. I my case there was enough variations in the boxes such that 2 were too small and the 3rd, barely fit.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Jeffers

Active User
I apologize for the delay; I've been out of town. The box is now on its way to jpfabricator, USPS tracking number 9505 5121 6347 7121 0878 11. I removed a neat little indicator, an LED ring light, and a drill grinding attachment.

View attachment 232618

I debated the drill grinder, but I couldn't get it to fit back in the box, so I kept it and found something else small to add.

The indicator is interesting. 110 years old, a predecessor, I guess, of the modern DTI. It didn't work at first, but I took it apart (it has a beautifully fitted dovetail cover to access the innards) and bent the pointer until it worked again. Probably not really useful in a modern shop unless needed to measure something in a really tight space, but checked against a modern indicator, it's accurate. It's dual purpose, it workes as a plunger type indicator on the left side and a side lever on the right side. But the really cool part, for me, is that it was made in Nyack, NY, the town I was born in, and I grew up in West Nyack.

View attachment 232619

View attachment 232620
I am glad the indicator found its new owner!
I found it in a battered Gerstner tool box I picked up off Craigslist in RI I think it belonged to a watchmaker/ repairer judging by the contents, I thought twice about putting it in but I have not used it since I found it and I thought it would be an interesting find for someone else.
My goal was with this and the other items I put in, was to exceed the "value" not necessarily $$$'s of what I took out. I would like to propose this as the goal of anyone adding their name to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Container Above bottom breadcrumb