• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Pass Around Box 2017

bfk

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Took the box to the PO this morning. Went through three shipping boxes, they all tore on a corner. I had to get to work, I'll try and finesse it a bit tonight.
I did notice that the boxes at my PO and the one that I received from b100 (previous box recipient) are slightly different: They have the same barcode, but the dimensions printed on mine were in fractions, and the previous box had them in decimals, it also had a designation O-FRB2 next to the July 2013 date.
Maybe a different production run? I dunno, but I'll try the other post office across town this afternoon and see if I have any more luck.
I'll keep you updated.

kvt

Active User
There are two different boxes, you have to get the proper one. Some times we have to order them or try a diff post office if possible. Somewhere someone put on this years, or last years which box was which and how to tell the diff. They are just a little diff but enough to cause problems.

bfk

Saw that, the one I have is the "correct one". Picked up a couple at the other post office, I got the box halfway into one when I had to return to making money. I'll try again this evening. It's so darn close...

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Okay, Jeffers and Extropic are both on the list for this year before the box returns to Autonoz for a rest, and kvt is on the list for next year, though he is down the list a few steps per his request. I must say that I agree with Autonoz's comment about the box being dormant during the holiday season. It would be a good time for that.

I also would like to echo Autonoz's thank you to everyone for participating and helping to make 2017 a banner year for the pass around box! Additionally, Autonoz deserves a big thank you for introducing the concept of this project to the rest of us!

bfk

Here's what I harvested from the box.

IMG_2151.jpg
Many small screws, a couple of 1/4" blanks, a couple of 1/4" pre-ground bits, a nice Gerber pocket multi-tool, a couple of small end mills, a couple of small drill bits, a chunk of teflon, a GAS label, and a cylinder of unidentified plastic.
Thanks to whomever put these things in there.
The box is now on its way to Jeffers.

I tried six boxes form the PO, none fit, most just tore at a corner. One batch had an obviously crooked seam, those would go on part way and no further. Then I remembered that the box it came in was still in the recycling pile. I retrieved it and added a bit of tape (well quite a lot of tape) and it slid on like a glove. Maybe the PO has shrunk their boxes by 1mm to save money.

BTW, the mailing cost if it had NOT been a standard Priority Mail box was $99.

bl00

I guess I got lucky with the box. It was ordered online and delivered to the house.

Jeffers

Active User
Box arrived this morning, just as heavy as I remembered it to be!
Extropic send me your mailing address and I will get it off to you probably Tuesday because of the holiday weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffers

Active User
Box is back on its way, should be with extropic by Thursday.
I tool out some nice sharp milling cutters, a nice small hand vice, drill bits in sizes I don't have and three Armstrong tool holders that will be perfect for a lathe I am hoping to ship soon and some pins and brackets that I think will be part of a belt grinder build I am planning.
I repacked the items with some better protection as some of the items especially ones with cutting edges are getting chipped in transit. I added a small USB drive for recipients to add interesting information to and copy from.
This is a great idea and I encourage anyone who has items that they do not use and enjoy a surprise to sign up!
IMG_2700.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extropic

Active User
I picked up the box at the PO yesterday (no visible damage) and will open and investigate over the weekend.

Autonoz, please send me you mailing address.

Jeffers

Active User
Bill,
I guess you got my address because there was a nice 30lbs box waiting for me when I got home, this thing has some serious weight to it!
I filled up the air space created by taking these out, I have been lacking a decent scriber for forever:

The tapping calculator and thread pitch gage will be useful and the LED light will be perfect for my small drill press.
I loaded it back up with some good stuff.
This is a great project, thank you Terry for organizing!
I will try to get this shipped in the morning but on Saturday at the latest.
Jon

Jeffers

Active User
It is a shame about loosing pictures from Photobucket, I could not find the original picture to upload again.
I thought that whoever put the three carbide insert tools in the box would be interested to know that I just finished making three AXA size tool holders for them, just waiting for the rest of the setscrews from McMaster Carr to complete them. Fist time to make something with a dovetail on it, I am excited to use them! Everything home made except for the set screws.
toolholders.JPG

jpfabricator

Active User
Sign me up for 2018, but put me down about on the 15th-20th space on the list please.

extropic

Active User
Extropic, any photos of what you kept?
No photos yet. I will post some though.
The box is still with me.
I've got to admit it's been on the back burner since it's getting retired 'till 2018.
I've looked at most of the contents and made some preliminary selections.
I don't remember who built the aluminum case but it sure is the bee's knees.
I suspect the box is too heavy to throw so USPS handles it reasonably.
All the miles it's traveled and I didn't even find a dent in it. Kudos to the builder.

FLguy

Terry, please sign me up again. This is a fun thing we have going here !

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Terry, please sign me up again. This is a fun thing we have going here !
Will do, but it will be next weekend before I can do so. Currently on the road for the week and editing the Google spreadsheet from my phone is klunky at best.

autonoz

Active User
FLguy, I have put you on the spreadsheet but do not have any information on what machines you have. If you want it added just put it here and I will transfer it to the spreadsheet.

FLguy

Gas & TIG welder. 2 lathes; one small, other medium size. 2 drill presses. Dake 10 ton press. small sheet metal brake. 2 band saws;1 is horizontal. Grizzly mill. Blast cabinet. DRO's on mill and both lathes. 150 power microscope which is great for seeing those slivers. A lot of support tooling for the above. Wish I had the room for a surface grinder and maybe a Tool/cutter grinder. Like so many here say; ya can't have to many machines and tools. It's so much fun to build your own tools and yes I've built a lot of machines. Darn good fun !!

extropic

Active User
Finally!
I picked up the box at the PO on 13 October. I wasn't in a hurry to turn it around since it's being retired for the rest of 2017 but I didn't expect to have it for 5 weeks. Oh well.
After I had all the contents out, I decided to trial fit the aluminum case (AC) into a fresh box . . . . NO GO.
After much consideration, and dressing down of weld beads, I employed a special tool (measuring tape) and found the AC was at least 1/8" wider than the rated capacity of the box.
After much more consideration I decided to "fix" the AC and decided how to go about it. I'm not set up to weld aluminum so had to take it to a professional. I didn't take any pictures of the modification process (my bad) and think there's nothing to be gained by a description in text. Suffice it to say that the AC is whole again and now slips comfortably (like it was made for it) into the appropriate size MFRB.

The case is repacked, boxed and I'll mail it Monday or Tuesday. I accidentally left the Log Book and another small pack of tools out, but NO WAY I was going to open that case again, so I'll mail them in another envelope.

Following are pictures of what I kept.

pa2017 burrs.jpg
1/2" U-joint and 2 carbide burrs (router bits for fiberglass I think).

PA2017 calc1.jpg
RobbJack Speed Feed calculator, side 1

PA2017 calc2.jpg
RobbJack Speed Feed calculator, side 2

PA2017 cbore.jpg
Metric thread restorer file, counterbore, boring bar

PA2017 rifflers.jpg
Very course rifflers (for wood?)

PA2017 screws.jpg
Assorted fasteners

PA2017 tipnip.jpg
MIG torch tip cleaner and 1/4-20 transfer screw set

PA2017 wrenches.jpg
Box wrenches

PA2017 PW1.jpg
I think it's a vintage thread gage (16 TPI) but I'm not certain and intend to start a thread to ID it.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Last edited:

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Thanks for the update, sorry to hear that you had difficulty fitting the box into a shipping carton. As others have said, their quality control on the cartons must be suffering. The good news is that there should not be so much trouble for participants in the future.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb