Pass Around 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it would make sense to submit our contact information to be added to the form, on an opt-in basis? I have no problem giving my personal email address (same thing @ gmail), phone number, and mailing address. That way there won't be even a 2 hour delay in getting the information to the person who needs it. Obviously anyone who isn't interested in that can continue to do it as we have been doing (or even preemptively contacting the person on the list after them even before receiving the box).

I hope this doesn't come across as overly anxious on my part. My specialty is operational efficiency. I can't turn it off. At least once per week I make a change to how I work, and sometimes to the way others work, to shave minutes or sometimes even just seconds off of processes. (In one recent example two people in another department were assigned an extra 5-15 seconds of work per vehicle which will take from 1 to 10 minutes per vehicle off further down the process of getting the vehicles on the front line, ready for sale.) With that context in mind you can probably imagine how I itch watching this process of contacting people sometimes only after the box is ready to send out again. :)

I realize this pass-around isn't a business, and doesn't have to be done in an efficient manner. But it is clearly a good thing and that good thing could be enjoyed by at least a few more people each year if it moves just a little faster. :-D

Jon,
Did you follow (read all of) last years Pass Around thread? Have you read all of this thread?
If so, you're a true optimist trying to influence the flow. Better chance trying to push a rope.
Since being involved in Pass Around I've a new understanding of how difficult (improbable?) it is to 'pass around' in a timely manor.
Efficiency . . . ROTFLMAO. Good luck with that. :grin::grin::grin:

I can't tell if you're familiar with "pushing rope" as a euphemism for erectile dysfunction...

Yes, I've seen how it goes. And I've seen and helped improve businesses that were as casual with their production processes. Optimism is definitively the key. It's an incurable condition.

Terry is working on creating a contact log for the future. While there have been a couple of hiccups this year, for the most part, the box has changed hands in a timely matter. Would we all like to see it move faster? Of course.

Let's face it. Lifes little setbacks can crop up at any time. A family or business matter can come anytime at any minute. Health problems also can pop up in a minute. All these can happen at an instant at any inopportune time. The administrators do a good job on trying to keep things going and sometimes there may not be a way to get it going in a timely manner due to the nature of the problem. All we can do is sit and wait sometimes. I know it can be hard because I was once one of those sitting and waiting. But we must do what we have to. Maybe a phone list that only the administrators and moderators can access would help. It may not speed things up but may help letting folks know why something is sitting.

Of course they can. Did someone suggest otherwise?? That's exactly the point here. The goal is to minimize the effects of those events by communicating addresses ahead of time.
All we can do is sit and wait sometimes.

That is only true if you haven't done anything more proactively beforehand.

Of course they can. Did someone suggest otherwise?? That's exactly the point here. The goal is to minimize the effects of those events by communicating addresses ahead of time.

That is only true if you haven't done anything more proactively beforehand.
Just because someone sends their address ahead does mean the person with the box doesn't end up in the hospital or real busy all of a sudden and can not send the box on right away. Sure they have the address but maybe not the time to do anything. And as far as only being able to wait for the box, what else can someone do?

I didn't say that it would eliminate every possible delay. The point is to minimize the ones we can, such as not getting a shipping address because someone hasn't been online for a bit. That is an entirely different scenario than you had with Bernie. Honestly, why the resistance??

A couple hours of waiting to get a response at that point can mean an entire additional day before it arrives at the home of the next recipient. And the ones I've heard about so far have been more than a couple hours. It's one thing to have to wait for the box to arrive when there is a delay in shipping it. But to have a delay because we didn't do what we could to plan ahead and communicate shipping addresses before it's time to actually ship? That's just silly.

Jon,
you were responding to my post which was about the delay after someone received the box but did not pass it along timely. That has happened a few times on here. You did not say it was about a different type of delay. I sent my address to bernie even before he got the box. SO there will always be unexpected delays even when things are done properly. So let's just drop it and do the best we can.

So, I'm thinking about what to put into the box. Any suggestions? What would be useful for people to add to their tool/tooling collection?

Received the box an hour ago, I have PM'ed woodrowm for his address. It now 38 lbs, in May it was close to 29 lbs, looks like the baby is putting on weight.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back