Pass Around 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
This is the thread for the 2016 Pass Around Box. Since the previous Pass Around project worked so well, we are going to try again with a few twists. In order to avoid confusion, we will keep it to just one box, but it will stay in circulation until the end of the year or until the list is exhausted, which ever comes first.

To see the thread for the last pass around project, CLICK HERE

For those who are not familiar with this, I will explain:
We start off with a medium sized flat rate box from the USPS. It has a substantially braced aluminum interior box which is filled with various odds and ends, doo-dads and goo-gahs (technical names for various machine shop related items). People who wish to participate speak up in this thread and their names get added to the list of participants. The box gets sent from one participant to the next and the next, with each participant removing items of interest from the box when it arrives, then putting other items in their place before sending it to the next individual. This box will circulate down the list until late December at which time it will be returned to the originator. A new box will be started each year if the interest continues.

Here is a tracking link so everyone can see where the box is and where/when it's going next. This is a simple spreadsheet on Google Docs. Everyone can view it, however only Autonoz and myself are able to edit it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c9ibB9G2luefRS7bvUguhZ58EZwUCcEHILNHdTB6a_E/edit?usp=sharing

To have your name added, contact either Autonoz or Terrywerm by way of a Conversation (Inbox, upper right corner of your screen) simply say so and we will add you. Please include a brief description of the equipment you have in your shop so that we can look ahead and try to include items that will fit what you have. We are also requiring that you supply us with a VALID email address and phone number. This contact information will be available only to Autonoz and myself, but is necessary if the box becomes stagnant while in your possession so that we can contact you and figure out how to proceed.

Every project like this needs to have a few rules to keep everything on the straight and narrow, here they are:
  1. Items must be related to our hobby or it may be an item you made with our hobby.
  2. No items may be edible, alive, or alive in the past (leather is okay)
  3. No illegal items, hazardous materials, flammables, radioactive or magnetic items - this is a USPS requirement
  4. Replace the same number of items as you remove if room permits.
  5. Consider the value of the items you remove and replace with comparable if possible. Just be reasonable.
  6. No bad mouthing items if they are not up to your standards, be respectful of the previous senders efforts.
  7. Photos of the items you kept should be posted. If you are unable to post photos, please post a good description of the items you kept.
  8. Do not take photos or create descriptions of the items you put into the box... The contents are meant to be a surprise for each participant.
  9. If the box is in your presence it is your responsibility to contact the next member below you on the list for their address.
  10. It is desired that the box is mailed back out no later than seven days after receiving it. This gives each person plenty of time to decide what to keep, restock, repack, and send it on. Life happens, we know, but PLEASE make an honest effort to follow this timeline and keep the box moving. If you feel that you will not have time to give the box the care it deserves when you receive it, please speak up ahead of time, and we will move your name down the list so that you receive it at a time that may work better for you.
  11. When the box arrives, please post an arrival notice. When you get it sent off, please post a shipping notice.
  12. If the inner box needs repair, please do so before shipping out again. If it becomes too severely damaged, contact Autonoz or TerryWerm so that we can arrange for a replacement box.
  13. Repack the box carefully - add appropriate packing material to keep objects from moving around in the box. Please be sure to enter the date, your H-M screen name, city, and state in the enclosed log book.
  14. The cardboard outer boxes are free from your local post office. Please replace if necessary.
  15. Shipping will cost you $13.45 to send the box to the next participant. That is the only fee for participating.
  16. Be aware that there is a weight limit of 70 lbs on the box. Anything that fits inside up to 70 lbs ships for one flat rate.
  17. There are no guarantees that you will find anything useful in the box when it arrives, or that the items you keep will equal the cost of shipping. This is strictly for fun and does involve a bit of chance.
  18. This project is open only to members that live in the United States because the flat rate boxes may only be used there. Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and other US possessions are not eligible.
  19. Any member can get on the list as many times as he wishes, but we are going to require that there are at least ten individuals on the list between your entries.
  20. If a member does not respond to a request for a shipping address within one week of being contacted, he will be skipped over. He can ask to be added to the list again at a later time.
If you agree to the rules listed here, then by all means, join in!

If you have any questions, please speak up by either posting to this thread or by contacting Autonoz or myself through a Conversation.

Be aware that there are two different sizes of Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box. We are using the box that has these dimensions: 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" x 13 5/8"

You can order the correct box right here: https://store.usps.com/store/browse...tegoryId=shipping-supplies&productId=P_PPFRB2

You order the box online and your mail carrier leaves it in your mailbox for you. You pay for it online ahead of time and print the mailing label and within a day or so the empty box is delivered to you. Once you have it and pack it up you can go online and schedule pickup of your package by your postal carrier. All you have to do is tell them online when to pick it up and where the box will be (in the mailbox, by the front door, etc). The last two times that I had pass around boxes here I handled it that way and it worked slick.

Thought I would pass this along as I am often on the road during the week and have no chance to go to the post office. It really helps out those who have exceptionally busy schedules.

Added on 9/18/2016: At the end of the calendar year, the remaining members on the list will be carried over to start a new list for the new year. A new thread for the new year will also be started and the thread for the old year will be closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one that we started trying to do in the middle of the last set. Put city, state or just state and date on the box so we can see how far the box travels. That is also fun just to see how much this thing crosses the US. Just a suggestion, Ken

Thanks Ken. Since the box very well may not last forever, maybe it would be best to include a "Logbook" inside the box? Just a little notebook where each person can add the date, screen name, city, and state.

Knowing that the box will not last forever, I will make a brand new box in the next few weeks and have it here ready to go, using the threaded inserts like I used in the box that we will be using going forward. In the event that the box becomes damaged too severely, all anyone needs to do is notify me and we will get the contents into the new box somehow.

I'll give this a try! What a great idea. I will reread the rules to find out how to get my info in there! Awesome!

Bernie, you have been added to the roster for the 2016 pass around box. What sort of equipment do you have in your shop? Also, there are a couple of spots open yet on the #2 box from last year. If you want in on that one as well, just let us know, we can add you there also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should try this again. Machines I have are 7x12 lathe, 14 inch drill press with cross slide for milling, small drill press, various woodworking equipment.

I would love to try this, it seems like a great idea, especially for beginners. I have an AMES split bed cannon lathe, so if you have any lathe tapers between a #2mt and a #3 mt please send them as AMES lathes have a very rare taper. Looking forward to this... MetalMan1309

Billh50 and MetalMan1309, you have both been added to the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back