1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrywerm

terrywerm New Member Liaison Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    This is the thread for the 2016 Pass Around Box. Since the previous Pass Around project worked so well, we are going to try again with a few twists. In order to avoid confusion, we will keep it to just one box, but it will stay in circulation until the end of the year or until the list is exhausted, which ever comes first.

To see the thread for the last pass around project, CLICK HERE

For those who are not familiar with this, I will explain:
    We start off with a medium sized flat rate box from the USPS. It has a substantially braced aluminum interior box which is filled with various odds and ends, doo-dads and goo-gahs (technical names for various machine shop related items). People who wish to participate speak up in this thread and their names get added to the list of participants. The box gets sent from one participant to the next and the next, with each participant removing items of interest from the box when it arrives, then putting other items in their place before sending it to the next individual. This box will circulate down the list until late December at which time it will be returned to the originator. A new box will be started each year if the interest continues.

Here is a tracking link so everyone can see where the box is and where/when it's going next. This is a simple spreadsheet on Google Docs. Everyone can view it, however only Autonoz and myself are able to edit it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c9ibB9G2luefRS7bvUguhZ58EZwUCcEHILNHdTB6a_E/edit?usp=sharing

To have your name added, contact either Autonoz or Terrywerm by way of a Conversation (Inbox, upper right corner of your screen) simply say so and we will add you. Please include a brief description of the equipment you have in your shop so that we can look ahead and try to include items that will fit what you have. We are also requiring that you supply us with a VALID email address and phone number. This contact information will be available only to Autonoz and myself, but is necessary if the box becomes stagnant while in your possession so that we can contact you and figure out how to proceed.

Every project like this needs to have a few rules to keep everything on the straight and narrow, here they are:
    1. Items must be related to our hobby or it may be an item you made with our hobby.
    2. No items may be edible, alive, or alive in the past (leather is okay)
    3. No illegal items, hazardous materials, flammables, radioactive or magnetic items - this is a USPS requirement
    4. Replace the same number of items as you remove if room permits.
    5. Consider the value of the items you remove and replace with comparable if possible. Just be reasonable.
    6. No bad mouthing items if they are not up to your standards, be respectful of the previous senders efforts.
    7. Photos of the items you kept should be posted. If you are unable to post photos, please post a good description of the items you kept.
    8. Do not take photos or create descriptions of the items you put into the box... The contents are meant to be a surprise for each participant.
    9. If the box is in your presence it is your responsibility to contact the next member below you on the list for their address.
    10. It is desired that the box is mailed back out no later than seven days after receiving it. This gives each person plenty of time to decide what to keep, restock, repack, and send it on. Life happens, we know, but PLEASE make an honest effort to follow this timeline and keep the box moving. If you feel that you will not have time to give the box the care it deserves when you receive it, please speak up ahead of time, and we will move your name down the list so that you receive it at a time that may work better for you.
    11. When the box arrives, please post an arrival notice. When you get it sent off, please post a shipping notice.
    12. If the inner box needs repair, please do so before shipping out again. If it becomes too severely damaged, contact Autonoz or TerryWerm so that we can arrange for a replacement box.
    13. Repack the box carefully - add appropriate packing material to keep objects from moving around in the box. Please be sure to enter the date, your H-M screen name, city, and state in the enclosed log book.
    14. The cardboard outer boxes are free from your local post office. Please replace if necessary.
    15. Shipping will cost you $13.45 to send the box to the next participant. That is the only fee for participating.
    16. Be aware that there is a weight limit of 70 lbs on the box. Anything that fits inside up to 70 lbs ships for one flat rate.
    17. There are no guarantees that you will find anything useful in the box when it arrives, or that the items you keep will equal the cost of shipping. This is strictly for fun and does involve a bit of chance.
    18. This project is open only to members that live in the United States because the flat rate boxes may only be used there. Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and other US possessions are not eligible.
    19. Any member can get on the list as many times as he wishes, but we are going to require that there are at least ten individuals on the list between your entries.
    20. If a member does not respond to a request for a shipping address within one week of being contacted, he will be skipped over. He can ask to be added to the list again at a later time.
    If you agree to the rules listed here, then by all means, join in!

If you have any questions, please speak up by either posting to this thread or by contacting Autonoz or myself through a Conversation.

Be aware that there are two different sizes of Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box. We are using the box that has these dimensions: 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" x 13 5/8"

You can order the correct box right here: https://store.usps.com/store/browse...tegoryId=shipping-supplies&productId=P_PPFRB2

You order the box online and your mail carrier leaves it in your mailbox for you. You pay for it online ahead of time and print the mailing label and within a day or so the empty box is delivered to you. Once you have it and pack it up you can go online and schedule pickup of your package by your postal carrier. All you have to do is tell them online when to pick it up and where the box will be (in the mailbox, by the front door, etc). The last two times that I had pass around boxes here I handled it that way and it worked slick.

Thought I would pass this along as I am often on the road during the week and have no chance to go to the post office. It really helps out those who have exceptionally busy schedules.

Added on 9/18/2016: At the end of the calendar year, the remaining members on the list will be carried over to start a new list for the new year. A new thread for the new year will also be started and the thread for the old year will be closed.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Silverbullet and Subwayrocket like this.
  2. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    Here is one that we started trying to do in the middle of the last set. Put city, state or just state and date on the box so we can see how far the box travels. That is also fun just to see how much this thing crosses the US. Just a suggestion, Ken

Subwayrocket likes this.
  3. terrywerm

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks Ken. Since the box very well may not last forever, maybe it would be best to include a "Logbook" inside the box? Just a little notebook where each person can add the date, screen name, city, and state.

Knowing that the box will not last forever, I will make a brand new box in the next few weeks and have it here ready to go, using the threaded inserts like I used in the box that we will be using going forward. In the event that the box becomes damaged too severely, all anyone needs to do is notify me and we will get the contents into the new box somehow.

hman likes this.
  4. itsme_Bernie

itsme_Bernie United States Active User Active Member

City:
    NNJ
    State:
    New Jersey
    I'll give this a try! What a great idea. I will reread the rules to find out how to get my info in there! Awesome!

5. terrywerm

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    Bernie, you have been added to the roster for the 2016 pass around box. What sort of equipment do you have in your shop? Also, there are a couple of spots open yet on the #2 box from last year. If you want in on that one as well, just let us know, we can add you there also.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  6. autonoz

autonoz United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    casa grande
    State:
    Arizona
    Very nice Terry

7. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut
    I guess I should try this again. Machines I have are 7x12 lathe, 14 inch drill press with cross slide for milling, small drill press, various woodworking equipment.

8. MetalMan1309

MetalMan1309 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Lancaster
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    I would love to try this, it seems like a great idea, especially for beginners. I have an AMES split bed cannon lathe, so if you have any lathe tapers between a #2mt and a #3 mt please send them as AMES lathes have a very rare taper. Looking forward to this... MetalMan1309

Jeffers likes this.
  9. autonoz

City:
    casa grande
    State:
    Arizona
    Billh50 and MetalMan1309, you have both been added to the list

10. The Liberal Arts Garage

The Liberal Arts Garage United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Keene
    State:
    New Hampshire
    EXCELSIOR ! Said the strange device........BLJHB

11. ch2co

ch2co United States Grumpy Old Man H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Center of Colorado 5362ft
    State:
    Colorado
    I'm going to be on the road a lot this next year, not a good idea to get stuff delivered
    to my place, but I would be interested to see how the box contents change over time.
    If the recipient could just take a photo of the box's contents each time it moves
    it would provide an interesting end of year (or box) slide show. Pics would be sent
    to a moderator so as to not influence anyone during its 'lifetime'. Maybe you have
    already done something like this?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Guv likes this.
  12. terrywerm

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    Chuck, not a bad idea, but it would be a duplication of effort and would be a lot of work for a moderator, and they have plenty to do already. This project is meant to be fun and enjoyable, and it is a fair piece of work already just to keep things on the straight and narrow. No offense, but I don't think that anyone is really interested in making more work of it than it already is. If anything we're trying to make it be less work than it is currently with two boxes floating around.

Recipients are supposed to take and post a photo of what they kept before adding goodies and sending the box on to the next person. Watching those photos as the year goes by would show most of what the box carried during its travels, so all you have to do is watch this thread as it moves forward.

13. ch2co

ch2co United States Grumpy Old Man H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Center of Colorado 5362ft
    State:
    Colorado
    I guess I didn't realize that I could peek in on the progress of the box along with
    pictures of what people take out. This information would be more than adequate
    to satisfy my tool-voyeur needs. Thanks Terry.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

14. terrywerm

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    Yes, Chuck you certainly may! We will be making this into a 'sticky' thread in the Tool Junkies forum so that it is easy to find.

15. 'Topcraft

'Topcraft Active Member Active Member

City:
    Mukwonago
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I am coming up soon for box 2, I'm good for a go on box 1. New addition on machines is a south bend heavy 10

16. The Liberal Arts Garage

City:
    Keene
    State:
    New Hampshire
    Thanks, Terry, for your dedicated work in this Fun projec. The Box and I are taking
    a short rest for box repairs and restock.......BLJHB

17. MetalMan1309

MetalMan1309 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Lancaster
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Do we need to provide our address? I am assuming so, but I don't know where I should put it.

18. autonoz

City:
    casa grande
    State:
    Arizona
    The person who is sending you the box will contact you, usually through private message, when you are next to receive the box.

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Austin
    State:
    Texas
    Count me in. Equipment is G0704 CNC Mill, 7x12 mini lathe, 4x6 bandsaw, and lots of woodworking equipment.

20. rmack898

rmack898 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    southernmost NJ
    State:
    New Jersey
    Count me in for another go around, my equipment list is on the old spread sheet.

21. The Liberal Arts Garage

City:
    Keene
    State:
    New Hampshire
    The LiberaL Arts Garage. So far as I know,I will send the box , full, to Terry early
    next week please send the log book with it or send me any alternate instructions.BLJHB. P.S. is this the end or the beginning?

22. terrywerm

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    We are going to have you send the box to Autonoz. I will send you his address by PM (conversation ) later this evening when I get back home. He will mix and match the contents of boxes 1 & 2 into one before the 2016 box gets underway.

ON EDIT: Liberal Arts, I actually sent his address to you via a Conversation several days ago on March 12th. Check your Inbox and it should be there waiting for you.

I think I should explain to everyone what is going on with the new box for 2016. rmack898 was kind enough to construct a new all aluminum box that will be VERY durable. It is now in possession of Autonoz. He will combine the contents of both of the existing boxes using his best judgment and will start it on it's way for 2016. A log book will also be added to the box so that there will be a permanent record of its travels sent with the box.

So, we are currently waiting for the old box #2 to complete it travels so that it can be sent to Autonoz and the Vulcan Box Meld can occur.

Oh, and this is the end for "Box 1" and almost the end for "Box 2" but will be the beginning for Pass Around 2016. Keep in mind that going forward there will be only one box, and it will travel until December of 2016 at which time it will be returned to Autonoz, the originator of this project. if interest continues as it has been, Pass Around 2017 will start shortly after that in January of 2017.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  23. autonoz

City:
    casa grande
    State:
    Arizona
    Just an update as to where we are headed with the 2016 Pass Around. After multiple attempts to contact the current holder of box #2, by not only myself, but our moderator, terrywerm and I have decided to move on with the new box. This is how it will proceed. Rmack has fabricated a new box from aluminum and it is currently in my hands. We were waiting for box two to get to me and I was going to combine the best of box 1 and 2 into the new box and begin the 2016 box. Since we are unclear if box 2 will arrive, I am going to take the best contents of box #1, which Liberal Arts sent me, add more items from my overflow and ship it to the first person on the 2016 box list. Now an explanation of changes made to the list. We have determinined that it is unfair for those left on box #2 list, who have been patiently waiting their turn, to be put at the bottom of the new list. For this reason we are closing box 2 and moving the individuals left on the list to the top of the 2016 box list. I am sorry for any incovenience this may cause. Moving forward it is imperative that if you are involved in this round that we keep the box moving from person to person. I know things happen, but plan accordingly. If you have a trip planned around the time you may receive the box let us know and we will move you in the rotation. If something happens that is unforeseen please do your best to let someone know so we at least have an idea why the box is stagnant. With all this said, enjoy and lets hope for a smooth round of pass around in 2016.
    Please feel free to address any questions to myself or terywerm.

24. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    Autonoz thanks for the update. I know it has been a lot of work on you and Terry, and we do appreciate it.
    Again thanks

itsme_Bernie likes this.
  25. itsme_Bernie

City:
    NNJ
    State:
    New Jersey
    Yes, thanks for all the work, and I hope whoever has box number two is OK? Should somebody google their name? Not posting it here, but just to check if they are OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. autonoz

City:
    casa grande
    State:
    Arizona
    Ok today is the official start of Pass Around 2016. The box has been shipped to Topcraft. Enjoy everyone.

hman likes this.
  27. hman

hman Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tempe
    State:
    Arizona
    Thank you!

28. itsme_Bernie

City:
    NNJ
    State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks!

Pat O likes this.
  29. terrywerm

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    I wish to apologize to you two fellows, as I missed adding your names to the list when you posted your request last month. Luckily I caught them and your names have been added to the list in the appropriate position.

I might also add that since we now have only one box roaming the country, we have made a slight change to the rules. You can now get on the list more than once, but there must be at least ten other individuals on the list between your two entries. We currently have 21 people on the list, so if anyone wants to get in for a second time, all you have to do is speak up and we will add you again, making sure that there is a proper gap between your entries. If there are any questions, please ask!

itsme_Bernie likes this.
  30. itsme_Bernie

City:
    NNJ
    State:
    New Jersey
    Cool idea! If it goes up to 31 I will see ha ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.