Parts

cbrims

Registered
Registered
I've inherited a lathe that's missing some parts, it's a Craftsman 12" 101.28910. I thought I had found the tensioner/countershaft assembly, but it was for the 10". Don't know if it'll work, maybe someone knows if they are the same dimensions. I'm also in need of all the guards, I found the large guard on the left side that covers all the gearing for about $80 shipped on eBay. Is eBay the best place to look and I just have to keep looking back daily or is there another place to find what I need? Thank you.

E Bay is good but very expensive . CL is hit and miss . Maybe you could put out the word here .

Also, check out lostcreekmachine.com as I have gotten some good parts from them for my 12" Craftsman. No affiliation other than as a happy customer. There is another place that has used parts and new parts made specifically for the Atlas/Craftsman lathes, but the name is not coming to me. I'll post it later if I can remember.

Randall,

Probably http://www.mymachineshop.net/ Joel Rogers, eBay user ID joelr . I've bought several things from him, both on and off eBay.

cbrims,

Another source for new parts is Clausing Industrial (used to be named Atlas). They only sell new parts. Most prices are current, meaning not what's listed in the 70 year old catalogs. :)

And yet two more sources are here and on the Yahoo Atlas Group.

Several years ago, I bought two of what I concluded were 101.28910's. A local friend took one of them and some parts off of the second and made a working machine (which is still in service). I sold the gear cover to someone either here or on Yahoo a couple of years ago. I swapped the bed to a guy down in Victoria who wanted to convert a 101.28900 (12x24) to a 101.28910. I still have most of the belt cover and countershaft assembly (plus some other parts that you haven't mentioned). However, we aren't supposed to sell things in the discussion fora, so if interested, send me a PM. I will add that I'm in Houston and some of these parts are cast iron. So shipping ... :(.

Is it cheaper to take a weeks holiday to go any great distance & collect your bits or is it still cheaper to use the likes of UPS if you're in the USA.

I planned ahead several weeks , borrowed a small trailer for the car & did a 600 mile round trip when collecting some of my heavy stuff , best thing was I was able to go & see the Phantom of the Opera in London as well whilst doing it .

I found another one of the guards at Lost Creek Machine. Joelr doesn't appear to have any parts at all. So it looks like I'll need to source parts from all over the place over a period of time to get this lathe back to where it was. The advice is appreciated.

I haven't been able to find out if 10" lathe parts will fit the 12" lathe as far as guards and the countershaft assembly go, does anyone know? Thank you again.

Last edited:
I forgot to answer your 10" parts question. The short answer is NO. None of the guards for the 10" (or for the earlier 3/8" bed 12") will interchange. On the countershaft assemblies, the three pulleys are actually either the same or will interchange (Clausing changed the casting for the large 2-step pulley sometime in the 1970's but the old and new ones are interchangeable). But aside from a few miscellaneous parts like nuts and washers, all other parts are different or totally different. Not even close. Download the parts manuals for the late 12" bench models with QCGB and the one on the 10F and you will see. Read the instructions for using DOWNLOADS in the Sticky area above first.

As far as other parts on the machines go, there are a few parts that do interchange. On my 3996 (the cabinet model version, otherwise the same as yours), there are still a couple of parts that date back to the original Atlas 9" around 1932.. And several that first saw the light of day around 1935 when the first 10" headstock with Timken spindle bearings was offered. But hopefully you don't need any of those.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me know about parts interchangability. I had a feeling very little would be interchangable, but it was worth a shot. Between Lost Creek and eBay I've found 2 covers, the gear cover and the rear belt cover, there's also the rear half of the top pulley cover, just need to find the piece that gets lifted for belt changes.

While going through and starting cleanup of the pieces I have, I found one of the screws on the 4 jaw chuck cracked, hopefully that's an easy find.

Back