Parts Washer Tank

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys over the yrs I have taken apart,scrub,clean several machines from woodworking to metal working over the yrs.Today I pull the trigger on a 40gal parts washing tank(used).You can seat the part in the bottom of tank to soak or seat it on a rack,turn on the pump to wash the part.Its my first time for this type of tool so my question is what solution or chemical do I need to purchase for one of those cleaning tanks that will acturally clean that can be purchase local or over the net?Nothing that I will need to keep the local fire departments Hazmat on standby.Thanks----kroll

You want a solvent with a high flash point yet something that won't evaporate very fast. I use a product called Dyna 143 made by ZEP. I have also purchased some from my local NAPA parts store but the last time I replaced it in my solvent tank I got a better price on the ZEP because I purchased more than 10 gallons.

Mike.

All is well and good with your solvent tank until it comes time to dispose of the dirty solvent. It is now regulated waste. Years back when I had my manufacturing company, regulated waste cost me $180/drum to dispose of.

Possibly the best solution (no pun intended) would be to get a Safety-Kleen service that services your tank every so often. You will always have cleaner solvent, new filters and whatever the tank needs. They handle the state manifest from cradle to grave and all the paperwork involved.

I was always very cautious whenever any kind of fluid came into my shop. Simple household chemicals you use at home and dump down the drain cannot be disposed of the same way in a manufacturing environment. If you get caught...

All is well and good with your solvent tank until it comes time to dispose of the dirty solvent. It is now regulated waste. Years back when I had my manufacturing company, regulated waste cost me $180/drum to dispose of...

Check with your local utilities authority (or whatever it is called in your area). My county has two household hazardous waste days a year where homeowners can dispose of oddball stuff like this in limited quantities for free.(ours is 25 gallons or 100 lb of hazardous waste)

Chris

Last edited:
I use paint thinner (mineral spirits) in mine. I change it out every couple of years or so. The waste goes into my waste oil tank, which is burned in my waste oil burner over the winter. The sludge in the recirc tank gets filtered out through a rag, evaporated out, and then goes in the trash. Maybe a quart of so of sludge per year.

I use mineral spirits also but I think there is a difference between paint thinner and mineral spirits. To clean tank ,I drain solvent out into 5 gal buckets. I let them settle and poor it back into the cleaned out tank. I usually end up with 2 gallons of sludge that goes out during hazardous collection in town. Keep the lid closed will help prevent evaporation. Mineral spirits doesn't freeze either which you don't have to sweat about. My tank is a 1962 vintage. Ski

I have a Varsol washer, and put about 3 gallons of water in first. Being heavier, it stays on the bottom. The solids that are washed into the barrel settle into the water layer and the solvent stays clean a long time. The pump is suspended just above the water line so only the solvent is recirculated.

I have used straight mineral spirits, which is common paint thinner, and naptha. Varsol is easier on the hands. Unless you use one of the non-petroleum, green degreasers, yes.....it's a hazmat in most areas and must me dealt with accordingly.

All is well and good with your solvent tank until it comes time to dispose of the dirty solvent. It is now regulated waste. Years back when I had my manufacturing company, regulated waste cost me $180/drum to dispose of.

Possibly the best solution (no pun intended) would be to get a Safety-Kleen service that services your tank every so often. You will always have cleaner solvent, new filters and whatever the tank needs. They handle the state manifest from cradle to grave and all the paperwork involved.

I was always very cautious whenever any kind of fluid came into my shop. Simple household chemicals you use at home and dump down the drain cannot be disposed of the same way in a manufacturing environment. If you get caught...

I forgot to mention this as well. In my ZEP solvent tank it has a filtration system that I turn on about once a month for a day while I am in the shop working. It does a great job and I merely have to swap out the filters every 6-8 months and the solvent about everty two years. I have a local disposal location where I dispose of the old solvent when I switch it over.

It is worth checking in to before pulling the trigger and then a year or so down the road no knowing what to do with a drum/tank full of dirty solvent that you can't get rid of.

Mike.

I've been using diesel in mine for years, it removes oil and dirt fine, mostly motorbike engines going in it,
When it gets too dirty i filter it into the tractor fuel tank, it doesnt seem to mind, the sludge goes off with the old oil filters when they start building up

Back