Parts Source For Asian Machines--a Grizzly Problem

A single plastic gear in a geartrain is almost always there to be an inexpensive "fuse" in the event of a crash. It can also reduce harmonics. Fairly common and reasonable practice.

Agreed, but instead of buying the Enco lathe with a plastic gear as the weak point, my preference was a Grizzly G0709 which uses the more typical brass shear pin on the lead screw. Same design as my Clausing and Rockwell lathes. I haven't crashed a lathe (yet), but did shear the pin on my Rockwell years ago when I tightened the nut/thrust washer on the end of the lead screw too tight.

Bruce

Maybe this gear from CDCO (cdcotools.com)? Gotta love a design where the gears are the "clutch" in the drive train. I looked hard at the Enco 13 x 40 lathe, my father-in-law has one. I took off the headstock cover to see the quadrant for English/Metric gear changes. Saw a large plastic gear, went another route . . .

Bruce

View attachment 118823

View attachment 118824
Maybe this gear from CDCO (cdcotools.com)? Gotta love a design where the gears are the "clutch" in the drive train. I looked hard at the Enco 13 x 40 lathe, my father-in-law has one. I took off the headstock cover to see the quadrant for English/Metric gear changes. Saw a large plastic gear, went another route . . .

Bruce

View attachment 118823

View attachment 118824

That is the one.

Back