Parts missing bull gear ?

XPFTP

Registered
Registered
i think its called the bull gear ?? the far right gear with the pull pin... to run the back gears. circled in the pic below is the pin i refer to .
what iam asking for is this... anyone have a parts lay out for the pin and or know what is missing ?? i think there is to be a small ball with spring inside of the pin to lock it in the pully. but mmmm the one i have doesnt have it.
any pix would be awsome to see or drawings . the parts layouts from factory manuals on net are not to good to see what is in the pin..
i took out the index pin so it doesnt get hung up on it and rip the gear apart. it stays for most part but will move over time.

th-2662485162.jpeg

Pretty sure you're going to have to specify the model number.

Looks like the 12" cabinet machine
AFAIK there's only the plunger and a spring
If there is a ball it's not shown or listed

Looks like the 12" cabinet machine
AFAIK there's only the plunger and a spring
If there is a ball it's not shown or listed
no idea. but yes a atlas 12. will if anyone has parts layin around can snap a pic or something to give me better idea.
iam pretty sure since whatever is to be in the push/pull pin is gone. so ill have to make something up. but no clue what it is that works in there. or i just jb weld it to the pully lol ..... never use the backgears lol

Maybe use some silicone to hold something in for now temporarily, you might want backgears someday
(don't turn your back on the gears)
hahaha

You are missing the Back Gear Selector Pin, Spring, and etc. so the lathe is stuck in back gear. Usable but very slow. Call Clausing and see whether or not they still have anything in stock. If not, call one of the other suppliers such as My Machine Shop. Or most of the parts drawings are in D0wnloads but before you can use Downloads you must become a Doner. Cheapest rate is $10.00 per year. Click on the Donation tab at top of screen for details.

You are missing the Back Gear Selector Pin, Spring, and etc. so the lathe is stuck in back gear. Usable but very slow. Call Clausing and see whether or not they still have anything in stock. If not, call one of the other suppliers such as My Machine Shop. Or most of the parts drawings are in D0wnloads but before you can use Downloads you must become a Doner. Cheapest rate is $10.00 per year. Click on the Donation tab at top of screen for details.
not stuck in back gear.
i might try something like mark said. sillycone. or something..

Can confirm. I just pulled my 12" apart last week – spring only, no ball.
will.... dont know if was stupid move or not for me BUT............ yep there it is BUT.....
i pulled the pin on the bull gear. to far out... wasnt able to push it back in...
now i have no clue how it was all to work anyways...

soooooooooooooo guess what comes next... PULL THE SPINDLE apartttttttttttttt. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ok not so bad all done... iam sort of glad i did this...
so i find that the pin in the bull gear.. has a spring and a ball... in the bullgear itself. that holds the pin... the pin has a cut out indent for the ball to sit as so the pin doesnt fly out.. I HAD NO CLUE OF THIS .. till now.. i think the kid who had it twisted the pin so the indent was facing up to the lil hole that you can see in the bullgear.
so no parts missing ..
i thought the pin held into the hole on the belt pully.. as to stop the bullgear from moving left right on spindle. NO it doesnt .
what i found was ... lil grub screw on the bullgear for the main shaft or spindle shaft. whatever its called... so i check on the spindle shaft for marks. where that grub screw might have grabed. it is 180 degress off the woodruf key . theres marks... so i sung the grub screw just a hair and the gear now sits tight. i took the index pin out on the casing itself for now.. it scared me lol.. had it tick a few times. dont want it to take out the bullgear.

sooooo clean real good. pull the outter bearing covers. clean clean clean... glad i did.. it did need to be cleaned.. wasnt bad but it had some crap in the cover to the bearings. races were nice and smooth. no heat or grind marks. no checking or cracking in the races or cages. bearing pins all nice and smooth nothing on them. no heat or grind marks .
so all nice and clean. oiled . put back togther with the right amount of tightness to the left spindle nut. just like the old chevy wheel bearing setup hahhaha ..

only issue left really is the middle jack shaft. there is nooooooo oil holes.... not the bottom one .. this is the atlas with its drive motor in the cabinet under it not off the back.. there is one above the motor then that feeds the head. she is a lil noisey not like grinding but ...... its heading that way... something tells me ill have to pull it apart and replace the bearings and maybe drill some sort of oil hole in the casing for it ..

anyways all is good... spun her up to full bore. 2200 rpm i think is max. sounded sooooooo quite .... down to 400 rpm nothing.. so she is done for now ..

i know the drawing is very bad. but gives idea. hahhahah as you can see the lil black ball and below it would be the spring red line. the black thing top right is the pull pin.. all the pin does is mate the belt pully and bullgear. it doesnt hold them togther. i had no clue on this..

hahhaha my pin.png

Back