Parting Tool Holder

Billy Dixon

Registered
Registered
Greetings! I need some opinions and a little direction. I'm in the market for a parting/grooving tool holder and I would like to know what works for you. I'm looking for a BXA size for an Aloris QCTP. Lathe is a PM 14x40. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Billy
Just type "parting tool" in the search box up in the upper right corner. You will find a veritable plethora of articles on parting tools.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Been there done that Chuck. Didn't find what I need. I'll do a better job of asking my questions.

1. Is an Aloris parting tool holder worth the extra $100 bucks? Any comment on other brand holders? I have the chicom knockoff that came with the lathe.

2. Are insert tools worth it and do they work well? I've been using a T or P style tool.

Maybe this helps.

No., for a hobbyist Aloris is an extravagance.

As to inserted cut off tools, If you cannot sharpen a cut off blade, the inserted tools are OK, If you're into production, Running High RPMs, inserted tools are OK. If you're a hobbyist, and time has no value, (your're not making a living cutting off washers) then the money for an inserted tool (and the inserts) can be spent in better ways.

I have the chicom knockoff that came with the lathe.

I've been using a T or P style tool.

Are you looking for a different tool holder because the one that came with the lathe isn't working for you, or are you just trying to figure
out if there's something better out there?

No., for a hobbyist Aloris is an extravagance.

As to inserted cut off tools, If you cannot sharpen a cut off blade, the inserted tools are OK, If you're into production, Running High RPMs, inserted tools are OK. If you're a hobbyist, and time has no value, (your're not making a living cutting off washers) then the money for an inserted tool (and the inserts) can be spent in better ways.
Thanks for the reply Tom. I agree with both of your statements. I lucked into a Aloris Tool post, made a trade here, I have 1 Aloris tool holder and it works just like the others.

Are you looking for a different tool holder because the one that came with the lathe isn't working for you, or are you just trying to figure
out if there's something better out there?
Great question. I'm just trying to improve my process. What I have now isn't working for me. Chatter, the blade doesn't want to stay tight in the holder, wants to turn out. Blade too small? And yes, if there's something out there that's better I want to know about it. Thanks for the reply!

So, it sounds like what you have is a wedge type holder like the pic? With a T blade, when you tighten the screw they tilt in the holder due to being
thicker at the top. This presents the blade to the work at an angle which can cause problems. A shim between the blade and the holder
at the bottom will help: I measured mine and use a narrow feeler gauge which squared up the blade to the work. All the usual advice applies: use
a decent quality blade that's sharp at the correct speed, make sure the blade is exactly 90 degrees to the work and at the correct height, use lots
of lube. Make sure the blade doesn't extend out of the toolholder more than needed and that your setup is rigid. You should be able to get decent results with one of these holders if your setup is correct. If you're getting chatter, try slowing
down the spindle RPM.

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a FoR for sale on the for sale section.

Thanks NoGoingBack. The shim was what I was looking for. I thought about that, but didn't know if it would work. I'll give it a try.

Back