P is for planer, isn't she cute.

Anybody know rpm the drive needs

• 500 at the drive ,,, too fast?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300 @ the drive

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Then I'm on the right track for the motor and pulley set up. The overhead shaft has about 5" pulleys to the planer. The motor I'm planning on making a 2" flat pulley to the 4" or 6" on the shaft that should slow the 1750 to about half , then the machines pulleys are 8" or 9" . That's should slow it down even more . I'm trying to do all this with no measurements . But I'm on the right path.
Still need to find out about switches and and magnetic contractors , or the SAFTEY heater thermostat ,,, or whatever they're called. Are any of those needed just because it's three phase? I don't want to ruin anything. Or burn it up. On the side of my surface grinder there looks like the whole electric store mounted all its goodies. Just to run a 1 HP motor , no pumps or electric magnets.

am I on the way or stumbling in the dark. I'm not a novice but extras like magnetic starters and thermostats step down and up transformers are intimidating. Really I'm not afraid to wire them up but if I need extras , be nice to find out where and why. HELP IM FLUSTERED

Hey Silverbullet no need to despair, i can help out!
you could easily make a RPC that would run many machines at the same time, provided that you start the machines- one at a time.
you'd select an idler motor larger than the largest motor you are going to run on 3 phase produced by the RPC
the power produced could run an entire shop, mine did and does run my home shop today
there are many good deals on Ebay and Craigslist for electrical components
if you need help in selecting components, send me a note and i'll do my best to find what you need
i may even have most or all of what you need at home
let me know if i can be of service
all the best
mike

you could easily make a RPC that would run many machines at the same time, provided that you start the machines- one at a time.
you'd select an idler motor larger than the largest motor you are going to run on 3 phase produced by the RPC
the power produced could run an entire shop, mine did and does run my home shop today
if you need help in selecting components, send me a note and i'll do my best to find what you need
all the best
mike

Ignorance alert: what is RPC?

all the best
mike
Hi I thought about building one, doesn't look to hard to do. Of course it won't be with the system they use in there buzz boxes. I'm wondering what size to make tho. Now my largest motor is 2hp , should I go up to 3 HP or even 5 hp. I'm still not in working condition my spines giving me holy heck. But I'm planning on getting better. See pain management doc on 24 th , find if there going to help. If it don't I'm going to Jefferson hospital in Philadelphia. Ill have there doctors do the lamenectame,, spell Ck ,,, . Anyway if you would be kind enough to tell me what I need or sell me the items ill have them ready to do. I'm on SS disability so my incomes limited. That's why I figured on buying a buzz box there around $50.00 . Problem is finding a motor big enough to make the rpc , I got lucky for the 2 hp that's coming, I made an offer and paid $22. + $35 shipping. When I'm ready ill Ck it all out ,clean and paint new bearings if needed. Eventually I would love a bigger lathe 15" about max. But that may never happen. So right now I have two machines with three phase 2 hp largest. Thanks for the help , oh do I need any fancy magnetic contractors or other items for this set up ill have. Ye gads it's flusterating

Hey Silverbullet,
this may help out...
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rpc-simple-design-unbalanced.12712/
(sorry it includes magnetic contactors)
for your situation a 5hp RPC would be more than sufficient for what you intend to run.

after considering your situation, i could build a 3 phase motor starter for you- at no cost to you.
it could start and run a 3 phase motor on its own without an idler, but you will have a moderate loss of HP potential of the motor.

to make a full RPC, all you'd need to add is an idler motor (5 HP) and electrical plugs to the 3 phase motor starter and badda bing- you'll be able power your whole shop

Hey Silverbullet,
this may help out...
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rpc-simple-design-unbalanced.12712/
(sorry it includes magnetic contactors)
for your situation a 5hp RPC would be more than sufficient for what you intend to run.

after considering your situation, i could build a 3 phase motor starter for you- at no cost to you.
it could start and run a 3 phase motor on its own without an idler, but you will have a moderate loss of HP potential of the motor.

to make a full RPC, all you'd need to add is an idler motor (5 HP) and electrical plugs to the 3 phase motor starter and badda bing- you'll be able power your whole shop
I've just been looking for three to five hp motors for the last six or so hrs. Does the motor need to be three phase or single phase? If I need a contractor it's no problem I have a couple boxes that are for electric. About 12" square . No problem drilling and mounting them and switch to turn on off . I have done some wireing in my time , just not contractors and heaters for machinery.

3 phase for the idler- 1750 rpm- (3400 rpm will work in a pinch)

I just read and copied the wiring diagram , watched the vids , you make it look simple , really it is when it comes down to building it. Ill have to see about the motor . I'm trying , still feel like a fish out of water till I get the DERN THING done and working. 40 years ago I had a Sheldon lathe with a converter , worse thing I ever did was sell it . God I could kick my own butt for doing it. But I was fresh out of the hospital no legs to walk with it took me a year to get back walking , bills up the butt over a million to hospitals and doctors. They must have wrote off a lot of it cause I know we couldn't pay it. Still can't . Thanks for your help eventually ill get er done.

Back