• 500 at the drive ,,, too fast?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300 @ the drive

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
0211171341.jpg image1.JPG image2.JPG Today , something I've been wanting and waiting for arrived. Just as four other people came to look at and buy items on craigslist. My daughter and I had our hands full moving drawers of nuts and bolts , boxes of parts tools and more. All had to be moved to get an old woodworking bench made of cypress. And a singer 29-4 sewing machine sold. Plus I traded a 15" Bridgeport rotary table to get the planer and the overhead pulley shaft . Good deal for me and him I think. She'll take some cleaning and time but eventually ill be getting her set up and making chips . I can't wait but have to my spines to messed up now.
Dear God please help us old cripples on this forum we need health healing. TACH] image1.JPG 0211171341.jpg image1.JPG H]

Last edited:
So many words to say...none can be said without being a jealous jerk. Did you say you gave up a child and equipment in trade or did I read that wrong? Maybe I was just frantically scrolling to the pictures and missed something in your detailed post...

Rebuild thread is starting when???

what a wonderful find!:drool:
i hope you have lots of fun getting the planer back to operation and
:you suck:

Man o Man is that a nice find. I had no idea that planers came that small.

So many words to say...none can be said without being a jealous jerk. Did you say you gave up a child and equipment in trade or did I read that wrong? Maybe I was just frantically scrolling to the pictures and missed something in your detailed post...

Rebuild thread is starting when???
As soon as the doctors get me out of pain. Bulging discs are excruciating pain producers. About four hours outside yesterday and a full night of stabbing pain spasms. I keep doing my therapy helping some but not enough. Plus now I've got six projects a couple will be quick others may take sometime. So I'm praying for healing for several on this forum we need many different things. Those like me living on SS disability or just SS we never have extra money , in my case it's been since 1979 . Others need healing and just help . I've had to do everything with just my daughter to help a few friends but they have lives to lead . I need a retired friend who doesn't just needs to hang out and full around doing mechanical builds and repairs. We can help each other

Absolutely the primo of finds. Good one.

"Billy G"

I'm up against a wall. No idea on the motor size I need for this , I just bought an old 2 hp 3 phase motor with the cushion mount . Looks good , ya don't see them anymore. So will that be enough to run the planer? I found some belting I think will work . Now what speed do you guys here think the drive pulley speed should be . Will a phase converter be ok . Do I need a magnetic starter switch ? Will 12-4 so wire to feed it ok. I want to use the phase converter on my surface grinder too. I will plug them in as needed. I may also need a new motor for my enco mini Bridgeport , 1 HP on it now , if I get a 2 hp for that and use a vfd will there be anything more I need for that.
I've got to many things on my list to do ,I'd like to know if I'm going the right direction or not. Any help appreciated . Electric gurus am I on the way or stumbling in the dark. I'm not a novice but extras like magnetic starters and thermostats step down and up transformers are intimidating. Really I'm not afraid to wire them up but if I need extras , be nice to find out where and why. HELP IM FLUSTERED

You should be good using 12-4 SO cord on a 2 HP motor.

As for what speed to run your planer at, work backwards and figure how many feet the table moves with one turn on the input pulley. Or maybe how many turns on the input shaft moves the table one foot. Anyways, in the old machinerys handbooks, Look for a section on surface per minute for various machine tools. I had a planer a little bit bigger than yours in my younger years. It had a 2 HP 850 RPM motor on it. By the time it went thru all of the reduction, the table speed was about 30 feet per minute. For a planer, that is about the speed you want. Especially if your cutting cast iron and using old carbon steel forged tool bits. HSS, double that number or about 60-80 S.F.M. Ken

Back