OXA Quick Change for Sherline recommendations....??

Crow Horse

Registered
Registered
I'm hoping to hear from those who are using a OXA QCTP from LMS (4039). What do you like and what don't you like about it. I'm leaning towards going with 3/8 tooling shortly. If there are any other options I love to hear about them.

Another upgrade I'm considering is the compound slide (1270) which I'm sure complicates matters somewhat.

Any opinions, experiences and advice will be greatly appreciated......

I have the compound slide and I'm allways looking for different ways to use it. I think it's the better choice for short tapers than turning the headstock. I've also used mine to hold work for simple angle milling of small parts on the lathe.

Like these clock parts.

Eric

Attachments

• new_hook_1.jpg
    new_hook_1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 27
  • new_hook_2.jpg
    new_hook_2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 24
  • new hook.jpg
    new hook.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 24
The OXA size is too large for the Sherline

Good news is there is a low cost QCTP that fits well

used to be from a2z CNC but now imported. There is an aluminum version or steel. I have a Sherline lathe and the aluminum one is fine with it

Amazon ad for them

The OXA from Little Machine Shop with the adaptor to fit a Sherline will work, but it is a tad large.

Rather than buying a QCTP I would strongly consider just buying extra Sherline tool posts so you can leave the tooling set up and swap tool posts as needed. They are pretty quick to exchange, a much better fit and 1/2 a dozen are cheaper than most of the steel QCTPs.

I do have an OXA QCTP on mine and like having it, but I also use the Sherline tool posts a fair bit, and they are much better when space is tight.

The Compound slide is useful and worth having, although I don't use it as much as I thought I would. Need just depends on the project so I'm sure some use it much more than others. Kind of like the ball turner, another accessory I don't use often, but hard to get by without when it is needed.

The lathe is just how they lure you in for a taste, once they have you the tooling is how they keep you coming back. ;)

Rather than buying a QCTP I would strongly consider just buying extra Sherline tool posts so you can leave the tooling set up and swap tool posts as needed. They are pretty quick to exchange, a much better fit and 1/2 a dozen are cheaper than most of the steel QCTPs.

Which 3/8 tool posts are you referring to? I see the one for the 3/8 insert tool posts but not for a HSS tool.

That 3/8 carbide tool post will hold an HSS as well. The post is just has a slot milled in it to accept the tool - it doesn't care if you put in a carbide holder or an HSS tool. Making a 3/8 tool post for a Sherline would be a good early project for doing some milling with the lathe if you want to start going down the rabbit hole :)

I do wonder if a 3/8 tool will help you out much though. Not a lot to gain in rigidity on that machine going from 1/4 to 3/8 IMHO.

Making a 3/8 tool post for a Sherline would be a good early project for doing some milling with the lathe if you want to start going down the rabbit hole :)

I'm going to pass on making a tool post. Through the years I've learned never to test the depth of the water with both feet. It never ends well.....

Regarding the 3/8 insert tool holder, I'm curious why they don't make note that the HSS tools can be used in it. I was confused by this.

Back