Outstanding thread on old drill press restoration....

Skizzo (Bill) is a friend, not too far from me. He has switched out nearly all his equipment to vintage machines. He started out about 3 years ago not knowing much about machines and has really taken to restoring them. Bill spends much of his free time refurbing them. I guess it is a change from his occupation of finance.

Charlie W.

He does an amazing job, what a transformation.

A lot of guys who are "desk jockeys" like to get our hands dirty- I love it.
You ought to have seen me after I disassembled the Van Norman #12- pure greasy filth all over! I can break that 1800 pound machine into subassemblies in a few hours.

Admittedly, it is sometimes embarrassing going to work with hands with grease that just won't come off, small price to pay for the fun, I say.

Nelson

Since we are talking drill press restoration, I have a favorite of ones that I have restored. It is a 1930's Delta "Slo-Speed" made before Delta started adding serial numbers to their machines.

I found it at a guys place that had a bunch of used machines. It was outside in the tall weeds. It was apart in several pieces and was pretty rusty from be there for some time.

The motor bearings had a snap ring that allowed the shields to be removed. I cleaned, greased, reassembled them and put them back in the motor.

Slo-Speed-6.jpg
Slo-Speed-3.jpg
Slo-Speed-1.jpg
Slo-Speed-5.jpg
Slo-Speed-4.jpg
Slo-Speed-2.jpg
Slo-Speed-8.jpg

Charlie W.

Back