OUESTION TIME

Haha, can't put one over on ol' Bill. I'll have to dig deeper...

Here is the way we used the two terms:

A FIXTURE is "fixed" relative to the spindle, and is used to locate the part relative to the spindle. No bushings are used to guide the tool. This would be a production set up.

A JIG locates the tool relative to the part, and can be moved or "jiggled" to align to the spindle. Bushings are used to guide the tool. This would be for prototype/short runs or for a repair operation.

Jerry

A fixture is a way to hold a part, a jig is a tool like this cross hole drilling jig. That's my best guess.

crossdriller23.jpg

crossdriller23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A fixture is the picture of us grandchildren that hung on my grandmothers kitchen wall. A jig is the dance she did when ever we got to visit.

A jig attaches to the work and guided cutting tools. I have read that the term (jig) was derived from "thingamajig"; the machinists who made the contrivances did not know what to call them, so they called them a "thingamajig"
A fixture contains and locates the work piece relative to guidance features

Custom bike builders use a contraption that holds tubing and frame members in position for design, mock-up and welding. They call this a "frame jig".

Anybody wanna tell them they got it wrong?

FrameJig.jpg

For those into old stuff, this is an interesting read.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• jigs fixtures.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 30
Cool find Daryl, thanks! Saved to my 'projects' Dropbox already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back