OUESTION TIME

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
I posted this a long time ago and it was probably lost when we got hacked.

Give the new guys a crack at this first OK?

QUESTION:

What is the difference between a "JIG" and a "FIXTURE" or are they both the same???

"Billy G"

I assume "You can dance a jig, but not a fixture" is not an appropriate answer. :happydance:

Sorry, Bill. I just had to do it. :rofl: Of course, I can see the response coming now: :eek:uch:

It's a start Terry. And by posting that you have given them a clue. They just have to find it. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

I wasnt going to saying anything on this one.
You know that little voice filter in your head that says " ahh I shouldn't "

I dont have that ....

:whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag:

I assume "You can dance a jig, but not a fixture" is not an appropriate answer. :happydance:

Sorry, Bill. I just had to do it. :rofl: Of course, I can see the response coming now: :eek:uch:
No , fixtures can't dance, they are like wall-flowers.

Regardless of the answers I see at least one new name. This is a good sign. Now how about we get back to the question.

The hint Terry gave is that there IS a difference, now what is it???

"Billy G"

Ok, I'll bite.
Personally I would use the words interchangeably to refer generically to a 'collection' of 'items' assembled in a way that fosters efficiency for repeat operations.
As to specific definitions or differences; I would say the jig would be of a more temporary nature and a fixture a more permanent assembly and therefore more of a 'tool'.

What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A jig locates the tool and a fixture locates or holds the workpiece?

A jig allows repeatability when making the same part more than once and a fixture holds the work to be worked upon but has to be set up each time. (I think)

Back