Ot: Troy-bilt Snow Blowers

Check for "HOBBY AIRPORTS" in your area 99% of them sell "LEADED" gas. Most "MARINAS" also sell "LEADED" gas. Check with GOOGLE for "ethanol free gas" in your area. YES it cost a little more but you are not buying 20 gallons, five should last you a month.

fixit

So, I cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and put er back together and gassed er up, and she started on one pull. I shut it down and poured in some stabil, started it again, one pull, and ran it awhile.

I've been using Stabil for quite a few years now, but I use it year round. Every time the gas can gets filled, Stabil gets put in. I never drain the tanks, and never run them dry, instead I keep them full at all times. Haven't had any trouble with the tractor, lawn mower, string trimmer or anything else.

going by the weather forecasts its looking like you will get to test it out this weekend

O.K. Maybe I'm old or just not into all the work involed but I also do as Terry does above. I put StaBil in gas can when bought and have had no issues and I also use the Ethanol fuel. The only issues I've had was a few years back the small 2 cycles all had the fuel lines in the tanks go bad from the Ethanal gas but after changing them out with compatable lines they have been good. I do not empty the tanks in winter either just make sure they are full when I put them away.

I run the fuel out of my MTD snow blower with a Tecumseh engine at the end of every winter season. When I fuel it up it up the next winter it starts right up. It is about 20 years old.

I do have some other engines that are balky. A shot of starter spray (ether?) into the air filter or through the spark plug hole always gets them going.

Do some research about adding water to gasoline. It's supposed to absorb the ethanol and then you drain the water off from the bottom of the tank. Never tried it so I can't recommend it.
I have an old roto-tiller with a techemseh engine that starts right up every spring. I run the gas out and put it away. I once ran it out of oil and the engine seized and stalled. I couldn't even pull the rope. I let it sit until I got some oil in it and it started right up. That was two years ago and it's still working. Can't beat the old engines.

Many gas stations (at least in the Midwest) sell non-ethanol gas as "recreational gas" it's primarily used in outboard motors and other small engine equipment, but can be used in any size motor and is legal for highway use. Some places only offer it in the premium grade while others offer it in both regular and premium grades.

I have about a dozen different pieces of equipment with "small engines" under 22 hp. I was replacing fuel lines and cleaning carburetors on a regular basis until I switched to the "recreational gas". It was so bad I was buying fuel line by the 50 foot spool, and carburetor cleaner by the case. Since changing over about 7 years ago I have never had a problem with any of the machines. I do fill the gas tanks at the end of the season and add Stabil.

Slightly off topic I do travel to and through Iowa on a regular basis. It always amazes me that Iowa (the largest ethanol producing state) has at least one if not more, gas stations in every small town that offer NON-Ethanol regular and/or premium grades of gas. Generally the prices are about 15% higher than the ethanol blends. Not bad since adding ethanol reduces the energy output of a gallon of gas by approximately 15%. Apparently they like to sell ethanol blended gas, but don't necessarily like to use it.

I do like terry and chipmaker. Always try to use stabil or tri-stron I all the small engine fuel used. I never drain or run dry before storage and have good luck since the switch to this crappy fuel. I had to change chainsaw fuel lines several times.
Thanks scruffy

#1) I never ever run my blower out of gas. I add stabil and fill it. I run it for a few minutes to get the stabil thru the entire system and shut it down and put it away. It is left this way till the next year. Never had a problem.

#2 Second hand info from the repair shop --- Stabil is not to be used without gas, it will mess up the whole system. I can't vouch for that so ----

"Billy G"
Ditto same as you Bill, done it this way for years and never, ever let the tank set empty. No ethanol in any small engine.

Back