OT Toyota seat air bag sensor

Bill, that was the idea to start with but it looked like the Sienna seat would end up too high off the floor.
The Previa seat with the swivel mechanism looks like it was designed specifically for that application and the Sienna seat is nothing like it.
I had previously installed the Previa swivel seat in a Chevrolet Astro using an adapter to fit the bolt pattern. It was a straightforward job and it turned out well. The Sienna is whole different 'kettle of fish'.

Bill, that was the idea to start with but it looked like the Sienna seat would end up too high off the floor.
The Previa seat with the swivel mechanism looks like it was designed specifically for that application and the Sienna seat is nothing like it.
I had previously installed the Previa swivel seat in a Chevrolet Astro using an adapter to fit the bolt pattern. It was a straightforward job and it turned out well. The Sienna is whole different 'kettle of fish'.
I see what you mean... now. A friend of mine was told he could NOT put seat covers on his new van because they might interfere with the sensors in the headrest.
Apparently it has an air bag in the headrest, when deployed, wraps around your head. Kinda scary...

Thanks everybody for your comments. This project now seems to be clearly out of my league. Glad though that I did not screw anything up by forging ahead into the great unknown.

Shure would have been nice if was as easy as swapping seats unfortunately technology has ended a lot of those kind of things.

Yup, miss those days before computers for that reason. Back then a hacker was someone who did a poor job of fixing or modifying something.
Today, hackers are miracle workers who can modify/fool some of the most complex systems. How the world can change!
So maybe all I need is a modern day hacker who can add a loop in the air bag system for it to work equally well in both the 'seat in' and 'seat out' modes.
The other issues I can manage.

When a disconnected passenger airbag can be a good thing:
Quote from a recall article on Takata air bags:
Another major recall issued on October 20 expanded the affected vehicles across several brands. For its part, Toyota said it would begin to replace defective passenger-side inflators starting October 25; if parts are unavailable, however, it has advised its dealersto disable the airbags and affix “Do Not Sit Here” messages to the dashboard.

Back