OT ingersoll rand 231ha impact wrench

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well my neighbor was dumpster diving and found this impact which she gave to me. trying to figure out if I can rebuild it since there is a kit available. when I put a socket on it and hook it up I can hold the socket and pull the trigger and it slips like it's designed to do when it reaches it's torque setting .anyone have an idea if this is something a rebuild kit can fix.20170407_001946.jpg I know it's not a lot to go on so I'm gonna open it up but I figured I'd ask since we got some pretty knowledgeable folks on the board thanks for any input :) :) :)

Mostly what wears out in them is simply the vanes, but the cylinder can be scored quite a bit too. Make sure the bore is slick and all the bearings are good. Vanes and seals are all you should need if it still has good hammer action. I have worked for IR tool division and rebuilt a few of their guns. Been a while, right out of school, just married and working two jobs. But air tools haven't really changed that much.

That's an oldie but a good design that's been around for a while. Matco & Mac have used that style as well. I used one when I was a mechanic. Been copied a lot by others too. It's a great impact.

I've never rebuilt one but the kits are $20- $25 and also includes bearings but no anvil. Like Tony says it's usually the vanes that cause lack of power. If the vanes are not actually worn they could just not be sealing or are gummed up & stuck. If you haven't tried already, put some air tool oil (or Marvel Mystery Oil, or, ATF, or some other light weight oil) in the inlet, run it & see if it gets any better. Probably a good idea to regrease the hammer mech if you open it up while you're at.

I have seen a couple of times where an impact that was built like that one had similar symptoms. One of them needed new vanes. The other needed to get de-gunked. Both worked very well after reassembly. I would reccommend getting a good look inside before purchasing a kit or parts. Might just need a good clean and lube job.
Good luck!

Well I opened it up and everything looks good except being dirty and one lil broken spring and everything is smooth on the removable parts there is some scoring in the outer casing in a couple spots I've included some pics to see what ya think I smoothed it down with scotchbrite just trying to figure how much scoring is to much ???? You can zoom in to see the scoring 20170408_125752.jpg20170408_125752.jpg 20170408_125715.jpg20170408_125643.jpg

any bypassing air will create a loss of power,
as a last resort...
chuck it up and see if you can indicate it reasonably true.
take a few skim cuts off the ID and see if you can bore it true again.
post rebuild, the displacement would increase as well as torque

another idea occured,
add JB weld or other 2 part epoxy of choice to the low areas and bore to desired dimension after curing

the setup may be a bit tricky....

I was wondering if I could use a cylinder hone set or maybe braze the scores and rehone if I can get in there

That bore is not that critical. ScotchBrite should do it. I wouldn't bother trying to sleeve it or anything that drastic, or do anything to make it significantly larger. It's going to get scratched when you assemble it anyway.

Thanks for the help much appreciated :) :) :)

Back