OT; I cant see anything anymore, I need glasses.

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Brother, I feel your pain!
The last few yrs my eyes are getting bad. I finally got glasses about two yrs ago, but now it time to go back for another eye test, and a new set of glasses. Seems like I find myself with a magnifier in my hands alot these days. I have to say,it sucks,big time. Not sense fighting it, just get a eye test, and get the glasses. These days, if you go to one of the outlets that do the lenses on site, you will be seeing better in a hour or so.

8) Paul 8)

I just use a set of 2x reading glasses I got at Walmart for doing the close up stuff. (Very cheap too.) I do need glasses for longer distances but as long as I don't have to read street signs I'm okay.

-Ron

Same problems here. I can tell you what has helped. I had my eye doctor set me up with bifocals where the bottom section is quite short, only about 10mm high. That lower section is optimized for a distance of 9 inches. It's my secret weapon as I can see small electronic parts, stuff in the lathe, dials and whatever. The upper section is for normal distant vision. That leaves me with an area I can't focus in, but that's what the computer/reading glasses are for.

Paul

Your arms are getting too short, thats all there is too it. LOL

I have had glasses since i was 3 years old, so do not really know any difference. I do remember as a young pup, leaving the optical place with new glasses and walking down the Vancouver streets and the sidewalks were sloped at about 45 deg. Felt like a mountain goat on the side of a hill. Man did the perscription change fast back then.

Now it has stabalized but sometimes my arms are too short too. LOL.

Walter

I gave in when I was 44, I believe. Was great for reading, but working wearing them not so much. Now days, with bifocals, I still strain to see small details. I use a lighted magnifier on the radio bench, but I still struggle when, of all things, welding. TIG is worst. I tried a magnifying lens in the hood, but it threw my depth perception all off.

I need to go again to get a fresh prescription. I get headaches if I read too long, or work on small stuff too much.

I'm farsighted and have been wearing glasses since the 5th grade. Now I only wear glasses when I'm not working. When I'm working I wear one contact and that is for distance vision. I can still read the fine print on a disclaimer. I bought a years worth of contacts that you are supposed to change out every 2 weeks but I clean the proteins off the lens every morning and alternate to the other eye about every 8 weeks. I haven't had any problem with depth preception, like one would think.
The worst part about getting old, is getting old. The good thing is, it doesn't last very long. lol

Pat

Sorry to hear it. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago.

Don't get new glasses, until they stabilize your blood sugar. The diabetes causes your eyeballs to swell and shrink, as the BS changes. If you get glasses right now, you will surely need new ones after a month or so on meds.

Shadow

Sorry to hear about the news. One fortunate part is that diabetes is not a killer disease and with management will not even really shorten a persons expected life span.

Unmanaged, the results can be very deadly.

Nip it in the bud, and take be proactive.

Oh, and Aspertame and the other artificial sweeteners are known to cause diabetes, so even though you will be restricted on sugar content be very careful with them. Look into Stevia and Chicolin, both are natural and are a better choice for people whether they are managing diabetes or not.

Walter

At 53, I'm half blind too, and I have astigmatism that gives me headaches and blurred vision when I read too much. I got some prescription progressives, and they made me dizzy. I was using them while trying to hoist a VN #12 milling table into my shed, and I got dizzy and fell and smashed my head into the table of a table saw in there. Not fun. I paid $200 for a prescription that makes me dizzy- nice.

I went back to the cheap 2x reading glasses and it's better, but small print like they have on some of the DTI instruction sheets is murder. I have to photocopy them with an enlargement to read them. I can't use the screen on my blackberry- the print is way too fine, I need to always be zooming in. I plan to get a phone with a bigger screen this spring because I can't see anything on that one.

Aging stinks.

Best,

Nelson

Re: OT; I cant see anything anymore, I need glasses.

shadow link=topic=1816.msg11432#msg11432 date=1303402006 said:
Well I found out part of the problem. Went to the doctor tuesday and got the result of my blood work this morning.

Looks like I have Diabetes. I made an eye doctor appt yesterday. I see my again doctor today.

Hey Shadow

I have that too, you better get that under control before have a eye test.
That needs to get sorted out first. Depends on alot of things too, diet, hi low sugar levels will effect your sight. I know for me, if I go too long without eating, things can get a little blurry.

I didnt see you post back for a bit, I wondered if your arms got too short like Walters did ,LMAO.

Or ya had problems readin the posts here.lol
Im sure you have also been told , diabetics need to watch out for a few things.

Good Luck on that

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Back