OT. Copper boiler/kettle

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
I have come across an old copper boiler/kettle.
Its about 400mm deep by 600 mm dia, and 3mm thick. It sits in a steel furnace slightly larger in diameter and considerably deeper to allow for building a fire underneath. The copper hangs by its lip on a flange around the top of the furnace. The boiler is open topped, (basically a big copper bucket) so is not pressurised.
It has been made from sheets cut and riveted, a real work of art, all the rivets are countersunk into the inside and copper reinforcing straps back up the lapped joints on the outside where the rivets have been bucked over. It does not appear to have soldered joints, and I cant see any gasket or other sealing compound. I am wondering about the figure 8 pattern around the rivets, it appears to be engraved/carved, but there is no neccesity for decoration on that side that I can think of. Could they possibly be stamped into the straps to create a ridge that mates in the copper panels to create a labyrinth method of sealing?
IMG_4748.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg
IMG_4749.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

Cheers Phil

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

i think your theory is right. Looks like they added the stampings to help seal around the rivets. What was this used for?

Back